Pyramiden ("the pyramid") is a coal-mining community and Russian settlement located on Svalbard archipelago, Norway. It has a population of around 15 people (summer 2015).
- Established by Sweden in 1910 and sold in 1927 to the Soviet Union, Pyramiden was closed in 1998. It has since stayed largely abandoned with most of its buildings and infrastructure still in place. There have been efforts since 2007 to make the settlement a tourist attraction.
- Pyramiden lies at the foot of Billefjorden on the Spitsbergen island and is named after a pyramid-shaped mountain, adjacent to the town, bearing the same name. The nearest settlement is Svalbard's capital, Longyearbyen, 50 km (31 ml) to the south.
- Pyramiden is accessible via boat or snowmobile out of Longyearbyen, either independently or as part of a guided tour. Visits to Pyramiden, still ownership of Arktikugol Trust, are not restricted. However, visitors are not allowed to enter its buildings without permission. While most of the buildings are currently locked, theft of artefacts and vandalism have become a major threat to Pyramiden because it contributes to accelerating deterioration of its buildings.
- Arktikugol has been restoring the hotel and upgrading infrastructure since 2007, including the construction of a new power station featuring diesel generators, in order to accommodate visitors in the old settlement.
- A maximum of 30 workers have been living in community year round to maintain its facilities and guide tourists who arrive from Longyearbyen. As of 2013, Tulip hotel has been reopened, so it's possible to stay in Pyramiden overnight. The Tulip hotel houses a small museum. There is also a small hotel constructed of old shipping containers close to the harbour. However, no plans exist to reopen the whole settlement.
- The northernmost grand piano in the world is located at Pyramiden: "Red October" grand piano is situated in the cultural centre's auditorium. The northernmost swimming pool and the northernmost monument to Vladimir Lenin are also located here.
The Pyramiden cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pyramiden, Spitsbergen, Arctic Norway.
If you lose the Pyramiden location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Pyramiden cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Pyramiden, Spitsbergen, Arctic Norway. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
24 July, 2017