Arctic - Antarctica
-4 °F / -19 °C
Pyramiden is a coal-mining port town (Russian settlement) on Spitsbergen Island (Svalbard, Norway, with population under 50.
- Established by Sweden in 1910 and sold in 1927 to USSR (Soviet Union), Pyramiden was closed in 1998. It has since stayed largely abandoned with most of its buildings and infrastructure still in place. There have been efforts since 2007 to make the settlement a tourist attraction.
- Pyramiden is located at the foot of Billefjorden (Spitsbergen island) and is named after a pyramid-shaped mountain adjacent to the town. The nearest settlement is Svalbard's capital Longyearbyen, approx 50 km (31 ml) to the south.
- Pyramiden is accessible via boat or snowmobile out of Longyearbyen, either independently or on a guided tour. Visits are not restricted, but tourists are not allowed to enter the buildings without permission. While most of the buildings are currently locked, theft of artefacts and acts of vandalism are not uncommon.
- Arktikugol Trust (town's owner) has been restoring the hotel and upgrading town's infrastructure since 2007. A new power station (with diesel generators) was constructed to serve tourists.
- A maximum of 30 workers have been living in community year round to maintain its facilities and guide tourists (arriving from Longyearbyen). In 2013, Tulip Hotel has been reopened, so overnight stays are now possible. The hotel also houses a small museum. Another small hotel (close to the harbour) was constructed of shipping containers. For now there are no plans the whole settlement to be opened.
- World's northernmost grand piano ("Red October") is in the cultural centre's auditorium. Wold's northernmost swimming pool and monument to Vladimir Lenin are also here.
Port Pyramiden cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Pyramiden, Spitsbergen, Arctic Norway. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|4 July, 2020|
|15 July, 2020|
|Spirit of Discovery||08:00||22:00|
|16 July, 2020|