Rathlin Island (Reachlainn in Irish) is an island and civil parish located off the coast of County Antrim and Northern Ireland's northernmost point. The island has a population of around 150 people.
- Rathlin Island is the only inhabited Northern Ireland's offshore island, with a steadily growing population, and is also the most northerly inhabited island situated off the coast of Ireland Island. The reverse L-shaped Rathlin is 6 km (4 ml) from east to west, and 4 km (2,5 ml) from north to south.
- The island's highest point is Slieveard, 134 m (440 ft) above sea level. Rathlin Island is 25 km (15,5 ml) from Mull of Kintyre, southern tip of Kintyre peninsula, Scotland. It is part of Glens council area and Causeway Coast, and is represented by Rathlin Development & Community Association.
- Rathlin Island is part of barony Cary (around Ballycastle town), and of Moyle district. The island of Rathlin constitutes a Civil parish. It is subdivided into twenty-two townlands.
- Tievebulliagh mountain close to Cushendall has a Neolithic stone axe factory. A similar one is found in Brockley (a group of houses within Townland of Ballygill Middle), featuring the same porcellanite stone. Rathlin Island was settled during Mesolithic and Neolithic periods. An unexcavated Viking ship was found in a mound formation.
- Ferry service operated by Rathlin Island Ferry Ltd provides connection between island's main port, Church Bay, and the mainland at Ballycastle, 10 km (6 ml) away. A couple of ferries operate on the route: the first one is a fast foot-passenger-only catamaran ferry named "Rathlin Express". There is also a larger ferry, property of the Scottish Government, named "MV Canna" carrying both foot passengers and vehicles, weather permitting.
- In 2008 Rathlin Island Ferry Ltd won a 6-year contract for the service providing it as subsidised "lifeline" service.
Highlights: Rugged scenery, Robert the Bruce’s Castle and cave, seals, seabirds
Rathlin Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Rathlin Island dock (anchor) at Church Bay - port town on the south-western coast.
The Rathlin Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Rathlin Island, Northern Ireland.
If you lose the Rathlin Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Rathlin Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Rathlin Island, Northern Ireland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
27 May, 2018