Margarita Island (Isla de Margarita) is the largest island located in the Venezuelan state Nueva Esparta, off the northeastern coast of the country, in Caribbean Sea. The island covers a total area of approx 1,020 km2 (390 ml2) and has population of around 436,900 people.
- La Asuncion, the capital of Nueva Esparta, is located on Margarita Island. Primary industries include fishing, construction and tourism.
- The status of the island as a duty-free port and its proximity to mainland make it a famous vacation site for Venezuelans. Margarita Island sees a large number of visitors around Christmas, Easter, and from July to the middle of September. Cheese, chocolate, electrical appliances and whiskey, among other goods, can be bought less expensively than on mainland.
- At least 50 beaches are available on the island, which has a 171 km (106 ml) coastline. Playa El Yaque is famous as a kitesurffing and windsurfing location. Other popular beaches include Playa El Agua, Playa Caribe, Playa Parguito, Playa Puerto Cruz and Playa Punta Arenas.
- Isla de Margarita was the venue for 2014 Caribbean Series. It was the 2nd time the island hosted the Series - the first was in 2010. It is expected the development of tourism industry on Margarita Island will be boosted by the influence of mainly Dominican, Puerto Rican, Venezuelan and Mexican sports enthusiast who arrived here for the competition.
- "Maria Guevara's breasts" ("Las Tetas de Maria Guevara"), located in a plain in the south of 1,670 ha Laguna de La Restinga National Park, features two small twin hills with a 135 m (443 ft) height. The vegetation around them is desert, with cacti, yaks, guamaches and prickly pears. The fauna is diverse and includes coral, desert lizards, rattlesnakes and rabbits.
- Since 1998, there have been around 10 pirate attacks on or close to Margarita Island. Today Venezuela is listed as a dangerous area for pirate attacks. In many regions, including between Sucre and Margarita, sailors shouldn't anchor and yachts should cruise in company.
Margarita Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Margarita Island (Isla de Margarita) Venezuela dock (anchor) at El Guamache - port town on the southern coast.
Port Margarita Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Margarita Island, El Guamache, Venezuela. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|27 November, 2018|
The Margarita Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Margarita Island, El Guamache, Venezuela.
If you lose the Margarita Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.