Here, CruiseMapper provides you with updated for 2021 information on all currently offered by the company Royal Caribbean International Internet packages, RCI ships' unlimited Internet cost, and different plans prices. Here you will also find an extensive review of Royal Caribbean International's VOOM internet, as well as the company's shipboard Internet policy rules.
Royal Caribbean VOOM Internet
VOOM is named RCI's new high-speed internet shipboard service that provides cruise ship passengers with the pleasure to enjoy at sea faster connectivity, with almost the same high-speed Internet connections they use on land. The new satellite technology utilizes each RCI ship specifically.
VOOM Internet has latency 120 ms, ping ~300 ms, download speed ~4,6 Mbps, upload speed ~5,2 Mbps. VOOM allows fast streaming of music and movies (incl YouTube, Netflix), uploading multiple (incl big-sized) pictures, also video chatting (FaceTime, Skype, conference calls), checking email, web surfing, stable and fast VPN connections. The onboard system is based on the 802.11b wireless connection (theoretical bandwidth peak 11 Mbps).
- Shipboard Internet access is integrated into the stateroom number and the personal onboard account. Following the log-on to the ship's wireless network "Royal WiFi", there is an option for creating an Internet account where the passenger can sign up for a particular Internet plan or pay by the minute. The charge is always applied to the cabin (onboard) account.
- While using the VOOM Internet package, passengers can switch between various mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops). However, the number of devices connected at the same time is limited by the Internet plan.
- The cruise ship also has several Internet workstations available for all passengers on an FCFS basis (first-come, first-served).
Among the cheaper alternatives to the VOOM internet are connecting onboard (while the cruise vessel is in ports of call) or ashore (in restaurants, bars, etc).
RCI's shipboard Internet tips and information
The VOOM Wi-Fi ("Wireless Internet Access") service is provided for all wireless devices with WiFi capability. Wired Internet service is provided in some shipboard venues (Internet Cafes) where for passenger use are available Internet-connected computer stations.
To connect personal mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) to the ship's VOOM Internet, passengers need to first make a connection to the onboard "royal-wifi" network (on their personal device), then to open an Internet browser and register for a pre-purchased package.
Pre-cruise purchasing VOOM is recommended as RCI offers discount prices in comparison to the shipboard rates. To pre-purchase VOOM online, booked passengers must log in to "My Cruises", then go to "Cruise Planner".
Since 2017, the VOOM Internet is available fleetwide - meaning it's currently offered on all RCI ships.
Current Wi-Fi prices start at USD 15.99 per 1 device per day (Surf Internet/slower) and USD 19.99 per 1 device per day (Surf & Stream Internet/faster).
New Internet packages cost (2021 prices)
RCI's ship internet offering was revamped from only one plan into different per day packages with pricing based on the number of included devices. Two new packages are currently available for booking.
All below listed unlimited Internet package prices are "Cruise Planner" booking rates and include the 30% pre-cruise booking discount. Packages can be purchased on the ship and also pre-purchased (before the cruise) via RCI's "Cruise Planner" booking system.
"VOOM Surf Voyage" Internet package
"VOOM Surf Voyage" is the "light package" providing high-speed Internet for general web browsing, emails, and social media platforms (excepting video streaming).
The "VOOM Surf Voyage" package cost (per day) depends on the number of mobile devices using it.
VOOM Surf pricing is as follows: $16 (1 device), $15 (2 devices), $13 (4 devices) and $23 (Single Day Pass per device / per day / 24-hours).
"VOOM Surf + Stream" Internet package
"VOOM Surf + Stream" is the "real deal", offering unlimited Internet activities, including high-speed video streaming (music, movies, video chatting, texting, VoIP apps /Internet phone calls).
The "VOOM Surf + Stream" package cost (per day) also depends on the number of mobile devices included.
VOOM Surf + Stream pricing is as follows: $20 (1 device), $19 (2 devices), $17 (4 devices) and $30 (Single Day Pass per device / per day / 24-hours).
Occasionally, Royal Caribbean offers VOOM package discounts for passengers with pre-purchased online (via "Cruise Planner") internet packages. Discounts are also offered for Royal Caribbean loyalty program members (by the "Crown and Anchor Society" program) when the VOOM package is purchased on the cruise ship.
Note: Keep in mind that Voom speeds vary by deck location (depending on usage) and also by the ship's location (at sea, near shore, in ports) as different satellites are used in different regions around the world. The fastest internet (O3B) is provided to ships located between 45°S-45°N latitudes, which excludes regions like Alaska, Canada, Australia-New Zealand, Northern Europe, South America. Ships operating in regions more distant from the equator are usually provided with Internet from geostationary satellites.
VOOM Internet discount prices (2021)
Since 2018, RCI offers Internet discount deals for Diamond and above loyalty program members ("Crown and Anchor Society" program). These deals are available fleetwide and on all cruise itineraries.
- Passengers must be Diamond, Diamond Plus or Pinnacle status "Crown and Anchor Society" members.
- The full-voyage VOOM Internet package must be purchased on board.
- The pre-paid VOOM package (booked online / via "Cruise Planner") must be priced USD 15,99 pp per day (1 device) or higher (VOOM Surf and VOOM Stream).
- The discount is applicable only if the VOOM package is purchased on day two of the cruise.
Next, are listed the full-voyage discounted Internet package pricing compared to the regular (below Dimond level past members) package prices.
Full-cruise 7-night itineraries Internet prices and discount pricing
- Shipboard (regular pricing) 7 days x USD 19,99 = USD 139,93
- Shipboard (Diamond members discount pricing): - USD 22,99 (total USD 116,94 / for 7 days)
- Pre-cruise online purchasing (via "Cruise Planner"): 7 days x USD 15,99 = USD 111,93
- Internet package purchasing shipboard on 2nd day: 6 days x USD 19,99 = USD 119,94
- Shipboard (Diamond members discount pricing): - USD 22,99 (total USD 96,95 / for 6 days)
Full-cruise 9-night itineraries Internet prices and discount pricing
- Shipboard regular pricing): 9 days x USD 19,99 = USD 179,91
- Shipboard (Diamond members discount pricing): - USD 22,99 (total USD 156,92 / for 9 days)
- Pre-cruise online purchasing (via "Cruise Planner"): 9 days x USD 15,99 = USD 143,91
- Internet package purchasing shipboard on 2nd day: 8 days x USD 19,99 = USD 159,92
- Shipboard (Diamond members discount pricing): - USD 22,99 (total USD 136,93 / for 8 days)
Full-cruise 12-night itineraries Internet prices and discount pricing
- Shipboard regular pricing): 12 days x USD 19,99 = USD 239,88
- Shipboard (Diamond members discount pricing): - USD 22,99 (total USD 216,89 / for 12 days)
- Internet package purchasing shipboard on 2nd day: 11 days x USD 19,99 = USD 219,89
- Shipboard (Diamond members discount pricing): - USD 22,99 (total USD 196,90 / for 11 days)
- Pre-cruise online purchasing (via "Cruise Planner"): 12 days x USD 15,99 = USD 191,88
Diamond members Internet discounts varry between 9,6-28,8% (based on itinerary length). Next are listed VOOM Internet discounts as percentages (based on cruise length) for Diamond members, As you can see, best deals are for shorter voyages.
- 4-night itineraries: 28,8%
- 5-night itineraries: 23%
- 6-night itineraries: 19,2%
- 7-night itineraries: 16,4%
- 8-night itineraries: 14,4%
- 9-night itineraries: 12,8%
- 10-night itineraries: 11,5%
- 11-night itineraries: 10,5%
- 12-night itineraries: 9,6%
On February 14, 2018, RCCL and Speedcast (global comm and IT service provider) extended their relationship by increasing the satellite bandwidth delivered across RCI's fleet. This parterning started in 2006, when Speedcast installted its first "Ku-Band VSAT" antenna. Multiple antennas on each cruise vessel deliver seamless transfer between Ku-Band and C-Band. The company's network provides fully managed connectivity solutions and IT services to a total of 37 RCCL vessels. These enhanced communications are used for onboard administration, as well as by passengers, crew and land-based employees.