Buccaneer Archipelago is an island group situated off the Kimberley coast of Western Australia. The archipelago is located close to Derby WA. Its nearest inhabited settlement is Ardyaloon (aka Bardi), about 54 km (34 ml) from the western end of the group of islands, and approx 2450 km (1522 ml) north of Fremantle-Perth. Next photo shows Irvine Island.
- The Archipelago covers more than 50 km2 (19 ml2). It lies at King Sound's head and is composed of nearly 800 islands located between King Sound and Collier Bay close to Yampi Sound.
- The region experiences huge tidal range, of more than 12 m (39 ft), which once devastated the pearling fleet which operated in the area during the last century.
- The rocks of the islands are over 2 billion years old. So is the surrounding coastline. The Buccaneer Archipelago group of islands themselves were created more recently as the result of rising sea levels, which created a drowned coastline. Buccaneer Archipelago's rocks are old Precambrian sandstones and the islands are generally rocky, with many featuring high cliffs.
- The isles are in almost pristine condition due to their isolation and hard access. Some of them are sparsely vegetated with rain-forest areas, and patches fringed with mangroves featuring built up silt.
- The traditional owners of Buccaneer Archipelago area are Mayala group made up of Unggarranggu and Yawijibaya peoples although Bardi people own the traditional rights fishing.
- The archipelago was named in 1820 after William Dampier (1651-1715), English privateer and buccaneer who in 1688 charted the area, by Philip Parker King (1791-1856, early explorer of Australian and Patagonian coasts).
Next photo shows Margaret Island.
Highlights: Rarely visited archipelago
The Buccaneer Archipelago cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Buccaneer Archipelago, Kimberley, Western Australia.
If you lose the Buccaneer Archipelago location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Buccaneer Archipelago cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Buccaneer Archipelago, Kimberley, Western Australia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 August, 2017
21 August, 2017