Cochin is a major port city located on India's southwestern coast (by Arabian Sea and Laccadive Sea). It is part of Ernakulam district in the state of Kerala. Kochi is often called Ernakulam, referring to city's mainland part. With a corporation limit population of 612,340, and metropolitan population of 2.5 million, it is the 2nd largest city in Kerala after Thiruvananthapuram as well as Kerala's 2nd largest urban agglomeration after Calicut.
Cochin is among the preferred ports of call on repositioning itineraris between Southeast Asia and Europe (via Suez Canal / Middle East). In 2015-2016, the port handled 33 cruise vessels. In 2016-2017, the cruise port had scheduled a total of 46 ship calls.
Cochin is among India's 7 ports with e-Visa issuance, where cruise ship passengers can apply for visas online and it is issued by the time of arrival. In 2017, Cochin Port Trust started using bar-coded e-landing cards issued to cruise ship tourists on shore excursions. Under this system, passengers apply online for landing permission and the e-Landing cards are issued on the ship.
- The metropolis area of Kochi is 94 km2 (36 ml2). Kochi city is part of Greater Cochin region. It is classified as Tier-II city by India's government. The civic body which governs the city is Cochin Municipal Corporation, constituted in 1967. The statutory bodies overseeing its development are the Goshree Islands Development Authority (GIDA) and Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA).
- Kochi is famous as the Queen of the Arabian Sea. It was a major spice trading centre on India's west coast from 14th century onward, and had a trade network with Arab merchants from pre-Islamic era. In 1503 Kochi was occupied by the Portuguese. It was the first European colony in colonial India and remained the most important seat of Portuguese India until in 1530 Goa was chosen instead.
- Later, Kochi was occupied by the British and the Dutch, with Cochin Kingdom becoming a princely state. The city ranks first in total number of domestic and international tourist arrivals in Kerala. It has been ranked India's 6th best tourist destination according to a survey by Nielsen Company on behalf of Outlook Traveller magazine. Kochi was among the 28 cities in India found to be between the emerging 440 global cities which will contribute half of the world GDP by 2025, in a 2011 study by McKinsey Global Institute.
- Kochi city is home to Southern Naval Command of Indian Navy as well as the state headquarters of Indian Coast Guard with attached air squadron, Air Squadron 747. City's commercial maritime facilities include Port of Kochi, Kochi Marina, Cochin Shipyard, International Container Transshipment Terminal, and offshore SPM of BPCL Kochi Refinery. Kochi is also home for the International Pepper Exchange, Cochin Stock Exchange, industries like Cyber City, HMT, Kinfra Hi-Tech Park, electrical industries like TELK, chemical industries like FACT, TCC, IREL, Merchem, HOCL, Petronet LNG and Kochi Refineries, and industrial parks like Cochin Special Economic Zone, Infopark and Smart City.
- The city is an important trading post since early times due to its strategic location between China and Europe. The port is located in a natural harbour, separated from the mainland by river estuaries and seawater inlets. This location allows scenic boat tours among small islands.
- Cochin features a wonderful array of architectural styles courtesy of myriad invaders including the British, Portugues and Dutch. This lovely cultural legacy includes Portuguese churches, a Jewish synagogue, mosques and Hindu temples. Remember to see the 19th century Mattancheri Palace created by the Raja of Kochi, the ruins of Fort Cochin, the city-centre Mangalavanam bird sanctuary, and then stroll along the lovely beach scattered with exclusive Chinese fishing nets.
Highlights: City, canals & lagoons, Mattancheri Palace, Bird sanctuary
Cochin cruise terminal
In September 2016, Cochin Port Trust announced that by late 2018 the city will open a new cruise ship terminal at Ernakulam Wharf.
- The new terminal has a total area of 2285 m2 (24600 ft2), project cost USD 3,9 million. The new cruise terminal has capacity to handle vessels with KLOA length up to 420 m (1378 ft) and features all facilities for smooth passenger handling.
- The new terminal building and operations follow all international immigration standard procedures (similar to international airports) with the inclusion of counters for e-visa and e-landing permits. The total number of immigration counters is 30.
Currently, all big-sized cruise ships (longer than 250 m / 820 ft) dock at BTP berth (aka Samudrika, Ernakulam Wharf). It has no immigration facilities. The statutory clearances (Customs & Immigration counters) are under single roof and highly crowded. An average international cruise passenger spends roughly USD 500 during a ship visit to Cochin.
Kochi is among the preferred port of call for voyages linking South Asia and the Middle East. In 2016-2017 the port had 46 ships call against 33 in 2015-2016. In 2017, 23 ships visited and another 10 are due to arrive before March 31.
Port Cochin cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Cochin, India. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|3 March, 2018|
|Celebrity Constellation||08:00||23:00||Mormugao, Goa, India|
|4 March, 2018|
|Oceania Insignia||08:00||19:00||Yangon, Rangoon, Myanmar|
|7 March, 2018|
|Pacific Princess||08:00||17:00||Mumbai, Bombay, India|
|7 March, 2018|
|12 March, 2018|
|27 March, 2018|
|Black Watch||Mumbai, Bombay, India|
|30 March, 2018|
|30 March, 2018|
|Costa Luminosa||12:00||14:00||Mormugao, Goa, India|
|31 March, 2018|
|Celebrity Constellation||07:00||20:00||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
The Cochin cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Cochin, India.
If you lose the Cochin location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
With a view to promote cruises in India, cruise passengers with e-visas will be exempted from the requirement of biometric enrolment until December...January 3, 2018
Cochin (Kochi), India is set to get a fillip as cruise destination even as Cochin Port Trust readies its new cruise terminal for opening by late...August 25, 2017
Italian luxury cruise operator Costa Cruises in collaboration with Mumbai Port Trust and Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation announced the...August 2, 2017
After the launch of India's first cruise between Male and Mumbai, the Union Ministry of Shipping gears up to develop sailings as a niche tourism...June 13, 2017
- show more news