Ponza is the largest island of Italian Pontine Islands archipelago, situated 33 km (21 miles) south of Cape Circeo in Tyrrhenian Sea. It is also a commune of the island, part of Latina province in Lazio region.
- The town of Ponza is a boating and fishing port with several large docks which can accommodate big ships. Its largest industry is tourism. Next in row are boatbuilding, boat repair, fishing. Currently, the local economy of Ponza Island is in downturn partly because of the restrictions on commercial fishing.
- The 4 mines at the northern end (which is the most beautiful area on Ponza) were closed down by the Italian Environmental Protection Agency in 1975 because mining operation was destroying island's wildlife and flora, that are endangered species.
- Ponza Island has a 2-lane road which goes from north to south, but accommodates small cars only. Airstrip planned for the island's north part was canceled because of environmental concerns. As there is no airstrip, sea planes call on the island instead.
- Satyricon (1969) by Federico Fellini was filmed on Ponza Island. Some scenes in the film of Wes Anderson, The Life Aquatic, were also filmed on the island; in the movie, Ponza was instead called "Port-au-Patois".
- Celebrities who have vacationed on the island include Elsa Martinelli, Sophia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, Anthony Quinn, Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas and his son Michael Douglas, Jacques Cousteau and his son, Philippe Cousteau, who filmed a few documentaries in the area.
- "Un'altra Vita" (2014), Rai Fiction TV series, was largely filmed on Ponza. A lot of the scenes showcase the rugged shoreline and hilly landscape of the island.
- Most of the people who live on Ponza Island raise chickens, rabbits and other animals for meat to make cacciatore. Many of the island's original inhabitants are now leaving but are steadily being replaced by other people from mainland Italy. Many local kids move away after becoming adults. They never return.
- Ferries reach Ponza Island from Anzio, Formia, Naples and Terracina. There are also hydrofoils from Anzio and Formia which take about 75 minutes. The hydrofoils and ferries may not depart to/from Ponza during severe weather. Much of Ponza Island is accessible by car. A bus runs the length of the isle.
Ponza Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Ponza Island dock (anchor) at Ponza - port town on the south-eastern coast.
Port Ponza Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ponza Island, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|27 May, 2018|
|Royal Clipper||Palmarola Island, Italy|
The Ponza Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ponza Island, Italy.
If you lose the Ponza Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.