Porto Venere is a port town and municipality located on the Ligurian coast of Italy, the province of La Spezia. The town covers a total area of approx 7 km2 (3 ml2) and has a population of around 3,760 people (2014 census).
Porto Venere comprises the 3 villages of Le Grazie, Porto Venere and Fezzano, and the 3 islands of Tino, Tinetto and Palmaria. In 1997 Porto Venere and the Cinque Terre villages were designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Main sights of interest in Porto Venere include:
- Doria Castle with its walls around city's historic center.
- The Gothic Church of Saint Peter, consecrated in 1198, built over pre-existing Palaeo-Christian church of the 5th century, which featured semicircular apse and rectangular plan. The new part, dating back from 13th century, is marked by black and white stripes.
- The Romanesque church of Saint Lawrence, built by the Genoese in 1098. It is considered to occupy the site of ancient temple that was dedicated to Jupiter. The Romanesque church was damaged by fire in 1340 and in 1494 by the Aragonese attack. It was restored in 1582.
- Grotta dell'Arpaia, famous as Byron's Grotto. From it the English poet George Gordon Byron swam across La Spezia gulf to San Terenzo to visit Shelley in Lerici (1822).
- The medieval nucleus of Le Grazie, set around 14th-century Church of Our Lady of Graces. A medieval convent is nearby - it once belonged to Olivetans - as well as the remains of 1st century BCE Varignano Roman villa.
- Among the natural places in Porto Venere is the renowned sea caves Cala dell'Arpaia (Byron), Azzurra or Blue Cave and Tinetto; the cavity of Doves and the wall of Tino, shoal of Dante and Small & Big creeks. Byron's cave, named after the poet George Gordon Byron (1788-1824), drew inspiration for his literary works. It is situated at the spur of rock below the St. Peter church and the old defensive position.
Highlights: Poets resort, Castello Doria, Grotta Arpaia
The Porto Venere cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Porto Venere, Italy.
If you lose the Porto Venere location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Porto Venere cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Porto Venere, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
23 September, 2017