Scenic Eclipse Review and Specifications
Specifications of Scenic Eclipse
|Year built||2019 new ship|
|Builder||Uljanik Shipyard (Pula, Croatia)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition mega-yacht|
|Building cost||EUR 150 million (USD 175 million)|
|Owner||Scenic Tours (Australia)|
|Speed||17 kn / 31 kph / 20 mph|
|Length (LOA)||166 m / 545 ft|
|Beam (width)||22 m / 72 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||16500 gt|
|Decks with cabins||5|
Review of Scenic Eclipse
With the Scenic Eclipse yacht, the river cruisetour company Scenic Cruises entered the ocean cruising market. The yacht was scheduled for delivery in August 2018, which due to construction issues was re-scheduled for January 2019. In February 2018, the shipowner company signed a shipbuilding contract for a second (same-design) vessel - Scenic Eclipse II. The sistership was scheduled for delivery in 2020.
The all-suite, 228-passenger cruise ship looks more like a billionaire's yacht and features an ice-strengthened hull, helipad (two helicopters), aft marina (for water sports), fleet of Zodiacs (large-capacity inflatable boats) and a 7-person submarine. Scenic Cruises has an option to order the building of a second yacht (sister-ship of Eclipse) which would launch in June 2019.
Scenic's move follows that of Viking Cruises, which entered the ocean arena in 2015 with the launch of Viking Star. It also follows Crystal Cruises move into the yacht arena. In fact, the new Scenic ship bears some similarities to Crystal Esprit, the 62-passenger yacht that Crystal launched in the Seychelles in December 2015 and has a submarine as well as an aft marina.
Scenic is describing the vessel as the "world's first discovery yacht;" it has the highest passenge ship ice-class (1A Super) allowing it to operate on Arctic and Antarctica cruise itineraries 3 months a year. The ship's passenger capacity is limited to 200 during polar cruise expeditions (Antarctic and Arctic itineraries), in order to operate several landings per day.
The ship's own helicopters (each with capacity 7 passengers) can be booked / hired at extra charge. Helicopter tours allow passengers to get closer to the wildlife in comparison to the Zodiac landings. Also at additional charge can be booked the ship's onboard submarine.
The vessel has an almost 1:1 passenger-to-crew ratio, and each stateroom is served by a dedicated butler.
Other features and all-inclusive amenities include:
- 9 restaurants (including Asian Fusion, steakhouse, seafood, contemporary French and Italian venues, poolside grill, 24/7 room service
- four bars and lounges
- 240-seat theater
- 2 (indoor and outdoor) swimming pools
- heated pool (indoor, with retractable glass roof)
- 5900 ft2 (550 m2) spa / wellness complex with heated indoor pool, outdoor Jacuzzis, plunge pools, Hair Salon, Spa treatment / massage rooms
- gym (with a separate Aerobics Studio for yoga and Pilates)
- Staterooms sizes range between 345 ft2 / 32 m2 (Veranda Suite) to 2660 ft2 / 247 m2 (2-Bedroom Penthouse Suite). The Owners Penthouse Suite is sized 2507 ft2 (235 m2).
- Each of the ship's 114 cabins has a private balcony and separate lounge area.
- Scenic yacht cruise deals are inclusive of butler service (regardless cabin category), all tips / gratuities, Discovery leaders (professional tour guides on all cruise itineraries), shore excursions (all land tours and organized events at ports of call and beaches along the itinerary route, expert-led Scenic Freechoice activities, discovery excursions by Zodiacs / large-capacity inflatable boats), onboard dining (all dining venues are complimentary / fee-free), onboard entertainment, e-biking, water sports (sea kayaking, snorkeling, scuba diving).
The ship has "zero speed stabilizer fins" (50% larger than typical on a similar-sized vessel) allowing it to navigate in rough seas with just little movement. Voyages to Antarctica include passing Drake Passage - a notoriously rough waterway between South America and Antarctica.
Scenic Eclipse's "Inaugural Cruise" (maiden voyage) was scheduled for August 31, 2018 (one-way Mediterranean itinerary from Istanbul to Venice. Followed Transatlantic repositioning to Canada (via Iceland) and the Canadian Arctic territories. The ship cruises back to Europe (UK / British Isles). Follows another Atlantic Ocean crossing to the Caribbean (also visiting Cuba), then down to South America (Chilean Fjords) and Antarctica. However, due to construction issues, the launch was delayed and the Inaugural Cruise was re-scheduled for September 22 (repositioning from Europe to Florida).
In September 2018, Scenic Cruises released 2019-2020 brochures with 3 versions available, (covering Antarctica; Arctic/Baltic; Europe, Mediterranean, Americas) all encompassing both cruises and land-cruise combinations.
- A number of early booking incentives were also announced. Early-bird prices offered up to 10% savings on all voyages; paying in full by October 31 (2018) on any departure, saving USD 300-750 per person. Passengers booking cruise-land package received early-bird fares (regardless of booking time) and a free 20-min submarine or helicopter tour (or equivalent onboard credit).
- On select itineraries, the company offered USD 500 per person onboard credit; complimentary deposit protection, free door-to-door airport transfers. Limited sailings offered 50% off single supplement.
- All Scenic Cruises special offers were on cruises through August 2020 and also combinable with past vouchers and offers.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Scenic Eclipse cruise ship offers all 9 dining venues plus 24-hour room service. The ship also has an impressive number of bars and lounges - 8, which is an extraordinary variety considering the vessel's size. All these options are complimentary (cruise price inclusive).
Specialty dining venues highlight regional cuisine, intimate deck locatons and dinner privacy at no additional cost. These venues range from the open-kitchen Teppanyaki grill dining (capacity 10 people) to the Chef’s Table (private VIP dining for 8 people). Professional cookery demonstrations are offered at the dedicated Epicure (cooking emporium).
The main dining room restaurant "Elements" offers Italian fare, seafood and steaks. The other restaurants are named Koko’s (Asian, with sake bar), Sushi at Koko’s (authentic Japanese), Lumiere (French, with Champagne Bar). The Yacht Club has its own a bar, buffet and poolside grill. Azure Bar & Cafe offers all-day relaxed grazing.
Bars and lounges include Lobby Lounge, Champagne Bar, Azure Bar & Cafe. Fine wine, top-shelf beverages, cocktails, specialty teas and coffees are all included in Scenic Cruises' ticket prices.
Scenic Eclipse wiki
- The luxury mega-yacht Scenic Eclipse was built with the latest technological advancements in order to ensure highest safety standards. It has custom-built stabilizers (50% bigger than other vessels) and an ice-strengthened hull. Vessel's state-of-the-art fins (propulsion units) are able to adjust themselves, enabling the ship to handle strongest water currents and to remain stable.
- Unlike other ships that use traditional anchors, the Scenic Eclipse ship is fitted with dynamic positioning system. It uses GPS data to accurately maintain its position, which is an eco-friendly way to control the vessel. Other environmentally sustainable systems are the advanced / more efficient marine engines and water treatment system.
- On November 22, 2016, the vessel's construction was officially started with the steel cutting ceremony held at Uljanik Shipyard JSC (Pula, Croatia), The ship's integrated navigation and automation / control system was provided by the company Kongsberg Maritime. This modern technology combines the following systems - Navigation, Dynamic Positioning, automation, Emergency Shutdown, Power Management, Safety Management, and Control. The system is integrated with online diagnostics and remote service facility.
- On April 28, 2017, at Uljanik Shipyard (Pula Croatia) was held the vessel's keel-laying / coin ceremony. The special event marked the official start of the ship's construction and was attended by Glen Moroney (Scenic Tours' founder and chairman). He placed an Australian coin beneath the ship's keel – a right of passage for every newbuild, to bring good fortune to its passengers and crew.
- On January 31, 2018, was the ship's launch (float-out ceremony) at Uljanik Shipyard.
- The ship was scheduled for delivery on August 31, 2018.
Both Scenic Cruises yachts are built in Croatia - Eclipse 1 in Pula (Uljanik shipyard), Eclipse 2 in Rijeka (3 Maj Shipyard), The following YouTube video is a timelapse of the Scenic yachts construction process.
Inaugural itineraries 2018-2019
The following tables show ship's inaugural cruise itineraries by destination, with indicative prices per person (lowest category cabin rates in USD). Unfortunately, yacht's planned delivery (August 2018) due to construction issues was re-scheduled for January 2019. All bookings received full refunds. Rebooked deals on Scenic Eclipse received 25% future booking discount (of the rebooked cruise cost).
(2018) 13-day Inaugural Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Miami (prices from USD 7340 pp)
|22 Sep||Departing from Barcelona, Spain|
|23 Sep||At Sea|
|24 Sep||Gibraltar, UK|
|25 Sep - 03 Oct||At Sea|
|04 Oct||Nassau, Bahamas|
|05 Oct||Arriving in Miami, Florida|
(2018) 13-day Inaugural Caribbean cruise to Cuba roundtrip from Miami (prices from USD 11800 pp)
|18 Oct||Departing from Miami, Florida|
|20 Oct - 21 Oct||Havana, Cuba (Overnight)|
|22 Oct||Maria la Gorda, Cuba|
|23 Oct||Isla de la Juventud, Cuba|
|24 Oct||Cayo Largo del Sur, Cuba|
|25 Oct||Cienfuegos, Cuba|
|26 Oct||Casilda, Cuba|
|27 Oct||At Sea|
|28 Oct||Santiago de Cuba|
|28 Oct 23:00 - 23:00||Alejandro de Humboldt National Park, Cuba|
|29-30 Oct||At Sea|
|31 Oct||Arriving in Miami, Florida|
(2018) 13-day Inaugural South American cruise from Valparaiso to Ushuaia (prices from USD 9800 pp)
|22 Nov||Departing from Valparaiso, Santiago, Chile|
|24 Nov - 25 Nov||Valdivia, Chile (Overnight)|
|26-27-28 Nov||Chilean Fjords, Patagonia|
|29 Nov||Puerto Natales, Chile|
|30 Nov - 01-02 Dec||At Sea|
|03 Dec||Port Stanley, East Falkland Island|
|04 Dec||West Point Island, Falkland Islands|
|05 Dec||At Sea|
|06 Dec||Arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina|
(2018) 20-day Inaugural Antarctica, cruise to South Georgia and Falkland Islands (prices from USD 24800 pp)
|16 Dec||Departing from Ushuaia, Argentina|
|18 Dec||At Sea|
|19 Dec - 20 Dec||Falkland Islands (Overnight)|
|20 Dec||Falkland Islands|
|21 Dec - 23 Dec||At Sea|
|24-25-26-27 Dec||South Georgia Island, British Antarctica|
|28 Dec - 30 Dec||At Sea|
|31 Dec - 01-02-03 Jan||Antarctic Peninsula, Antarctica|
|04 Jan - 05 Jan||At Sea|
|06 Jan||Arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina|
(2019) 14-day,Inaugural Mediterranean cruise from Istanbul to Venice (prices from USD 9850 pp)
|26 Apr||Departing from Istanbul, Turkey|
|28 Apr||Gallipoli Peninsula|
|29 Apr||Bozcaada Island, Turkey|
|30 Apr||Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey|
|01 May||Rhodes Island, Greece|
|02 May||Heraklion, Crete, Greece|
|03 May||Santorini Island, Greece|
|04 May||Piraeus, Athens, Greece|
|05 May||Preveza, Greece|
|06 May||Kotor, Montenegro|
|07 May - 08 May||Dubrovnik, Croatia (Overnight)|
|09 May - 10 May||Split, Croatia (Overnight)|
|11 May||Arriving in Venice, Italy|
(2019) 10-day Inaugural British Isles cruise from Dublin to Bergen (prices from USD 6600 pp)
|28 Jun||Departing from Dublin, Ireland|
|30 Jun||Isle of Man, Douglas, UK|
|01 Jul||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|02 Jul||Isle of Iona, Scotland|
|03 Jul||Isle of Mull, Tobermory, Scotland|
|04 Jul||Isle of Canna, Scotland|
|05 Jul||Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland|
|06 Jul||Stromness, Orkney Island, Scotland|
|07-08 Jul||Lerwick, Shetland Island, Scotland|
|09 Jul||Arriving in Bergen, Norway|
Godspeed to the new ship!
Scenic Eclipse - user reviews and comments
Photos of Scenic EclipseAdd Photo
Scenic Eclipse ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Scenic Cruises released company's 2019-2020 Scenic Eclipse brochures with 3 versions available, (covering Antarctica; Arctic/Baltic; Europe...September 16, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Scenic Cruises announed it is delaying the launch of line's newest cruise ship, Scenic Eclipse. The newbuild, which is the first of a couple of new...July 5, 2018
- Cruise Industry
On January 31, 2018 the new Scenic Eclipse ship celebrated her float out from the shipyard. With its exterior construction almost complete, the...February 13, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Polar discovery passenger ship Scenic Eclipse, built for PEC Limited of the Scenic group, was launched into the sea on Wednesday, January 31, in...February 1, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The Uljanik yard (Pula, Croatia) which is currently building the 228-passenger expedition ship Scenic Eclipse for Scenic Cruises, is reportedly in...January 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Scenic Cruises revealed further details of shore trips that will be available to passengers onboard Scenic Eclipse during the inaugural season of the...November 6, 2017
- show more news
Other Scenic Cruises cruise ships
Scenic Eclipse Itineraries
The below listed Scenic Eclipse cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Scenic Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Sep 22||13 days, one-way from Barcelona to Miami||Barcelona||$7342|
|2018 Oct 05||13 days, round-trip Cuba in Depth||Miami||$13312|
|2018 Oct 31||16 days, one-way from Miami to Guayaquil||Miami||$18668|
|2018 Oct 31||9 days, one-way from Miami to Cartagena||Miami||$9412|
|2018 Nov 09||7 days, one-way from Cartagena to Guayaquil||Cartagena||$8588|
|2018 Nov 16||7 days, one-way from Guayaquil to Valparaiso||Guayaquil||$5242|
|2018 Nov 23||24 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Ushuaia||Valparaiso||$44632|
|2018 Nov 23||13 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Ushuaia||Valparaiso||$13568|
|2018 Dec 06||11 days, round-trip Ultimate Antarctica||Ushuaia||$26602|
|2018 Dec 17||20 days, round-trip Antarctica, South Georgia & Falkland Islands||Ushuaia||$32152|
|2019 Jan 17||11 days, round-trip Ultimate Antarctica||Ushuaia||$13268|
|2019 Jan 28||11 days, round-trip Ultimate Antarctica||Ushuaia||$26122|
|2019 Feb 08||11 days, round-trip Ultimate Antarctica||Ushuaia||$19958|
|2019 Feb 19||11 days, round-trip Ultimate Antarctica||Ushuaia||$19612|
|2019 Mar 01||21 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires||Ushuaia||$23092|
|2019 Mar 01||21 days, one-way from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires||Ushuaia||$32392|
|2019 Mar 22||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Santa Cruz de Tenerife||Buenos Aires||$9382|
|2019 Mar 22||4 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro||Buenos Aires||$5212|
|2019 Apr 04||8 days, one-way from Santa Cruz de Tenerife to Barcelona||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$7882|
|2019 Apr 13||14 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus||Barcelona||$24052|
|2019 Apr 27||8 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus||$9112|
|2019 May 12||13 days, one-way from Barcelona to Dublin||Barcelona||$11032|
|2019 May 12||6 days, one-way from Barcelona to Porto||Barcelona||$5708|
|2019 May 18||7 days, one-way from Porto to Dublin||Porto||$5902|
|2019 May 25||10 days, one-way from Dublin to Bergen||Dublin||$10012|
|2019 Jun 04||12 days, one-way from Bergen to Longyearbyen||Bergen||$14722|
|2019 Jun 16||10 days, round-trip Ultimate Arctic||Longyearbyen||$15142|
|2019 Jun 26||10 days, round-trip Ultimate Arctic||Longyearbyen||$14542|
|2019 Jul 06||22 days, one-way from Longyearbyen to Bergen||Longyearbyen||$28748|
|2019 Jul 06||10 days, round-trip Ultimate Arctic||Longyearbyen||$14242|
|2019 Jul 28||18 days, one-way from Bergen to Reykjavik||Bergen||$20662|
|2019 Jul 28||9 days, one-way from Bergen to Reykjavik||Bergen||$9578|
|2019 Aug 06||21 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Quebec City||Reykjavik||$23708|
|2019 Aug 06||9 days, round-trip Iceland Discovery||Reykjavik||$11362|
|2019 Aug 15||12 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Quebec City||Reykjavik||$12952|
|2019 Aug 31||14 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus||$23152|