Praia is a large port and the Cape Verde Islands capital city located on Santiago Island - the most African of all islands, a characteristic which stands out particularly during traditional festivals and music. The isle has a mountainous interior with a pair of large mountain chains, with the highest point being Pico d'Antonia (1392 m). The coastline is mainly rugged, with little sandy beaches. Variety can be found through splendid landscapes, botanical gardens, rural villages, colourful markets, palm beaches and lively nightlife of the capital Praia city.
- Santiago Island has a total population of around 373,000 (half the country's total population), land area of 991 km2 (383 ml2), length of 75 km (46,6 ml), width of 35 km (21,7 ml) and highest elevation point (Pico da Antónia) 1394 m (4573 ft). It is one of Cabo Verde's Sotavento islands and is located between Maio Island (40 km / 25 ml to the west) and Fogo Island (50 km / 31 ml to the east).
- The island was discovered by the Portuguese in ~1460, when a garrison was built in Ribeira Grande (current-day Cidade Velha). Slavery trade made the city the second richest in the Portugal's territories. When island was captured by the British (Francis Drake), the country's first ever fortress was built (Fort Real de Sao Filipe) in 1590. In 1712, due to constant attacks by French pirates, the Cape Verde's capital was moved from Cidade Velha to Praia (becoming officially a capital city in 1770).
- The island's main industries are agriculture (corn, sugar cane, coffee, tropical fruits - bananas, mangoes), tourism (icnluding by cruise ship passengers), commercial fishing, as well as some manufacturing.
- Cidade Velha - the old Portuguese capital of Cape Verde - lies about 10 km (6 ml) west from Praia. It features a grand cathedral, ruins of 14th century Jesuit college and the magnificent fortunes of Cidade Velha. For more than 200 years merchant galleons visited Santiago Island in order to barter and purchase manpower imported from West Africa. Sir Francis Drake, Vasco de Gama and Captain Cook also docked in Cidade Velha on their voyages of discovery.
- Tarrafal is a port town located on a hillside and is traditionally devoted to fishing. The green valley with coconut palms opens out into the blue bay across a beach of white sand.
Highlights: Praia, Cidade Velha, Tarrafal
Praia cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Santiago Island Cabo Verde dock (anchor) at Praia - port city on the southern coast.
The Praia cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Praia, Santiago Island, Cape Verde.
If you lose the Praia location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Praia cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Praia, Santiago Island, Cape Verde. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
3 October, 2016
26 October, 2016
29 October, 2016