San Jose del Cabo (Saint Joseph of the Cape) is a port city in Mexico's southern Baja California Sur state. The city has a population of around 69,790 people (2010 census).
- San Jose del Cabo is the seat of Los Cabos Municipality. Together with Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo forms a major tourist destination, with more than 900,000 hotel guests (2011). The city is served by Los Cabos International Airport.
- The Mission San Jose del Cabo was established in 1730. Nearby Rio San Jose was useful to the Spanish as the source of fresh water for their galleons traveling to/from the Philippines.
- Rio San Jose flows into the largest body of fresh water, an estuary in southern Baja, after flowing underground for 39 km (24,3 ml) from its origin in Laguna Mountains (Sierra de la Laguna). For over 250 years it has furnished irrigation and drinking water for San Jose del Cabo.
- Until the beginning of 20th century, the river used to flow above ground because of anthropogenic reasons. A 1 km long sand bar divides the estuary from what Spanish explorers, such as Sebastian Vizcaino, named Bahia de San Bernabe (Bay of San Bernabe) and currently San Jose del Cabo Bay.
- San Jose del Cabo is one of two sites where the rare and very likely extinct Oryzomys peninsulae (rice rat) has been found.
- San Jose del Cabo, like nearly all of Baja California peninsula, features an arid climate although it receives more rainfall than most regions further north because of tropical cyclones coming in from the south and bringing heavy falls like 340 mm (13.4 in) on September 1, 1998 and 316 mm (12.4 in) on November 3, 1993. However, rainfall is some of the world's most erratic due to this influence. Plenty of years pass by without significant falls.
Highlights: Beaches, Gordo Banks
The San Jose del Cabo cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Mexico.
If you lose the San Jose del Cabo location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.