Santa Margherita Ligure is a municipality located in the province of Genoa, the Italian region Liguria, about 35 km (22 ml) southeast of Genoa, in Tigullio traditional area. It borders the municipalities of Portofino, Rapallo and Camogli. Santa Margherita Ligure has a port, used for both fishing activities and tourism. Part of the municipality territory is included in Portofino's Regional Natural Park.
- The total area of Santa Margherita Ligure is 9.8 km2 (3.8 ml2), and its population is around 9,640 people (2012 census).
- The presence of Roman settlement in Santa Margherita Ligure region has not been definitely proven. The borough (burgh), famous as Pescino, was devastated in 641 by Rothari and by Saracens during the 10th century. Until 1229 it was a fief of Fieschi family, and was then acquired by Republic of Genoa.
- Santa Margherita Ligure was attacked by the fleet of Venice in 1432, and in 1549, along with Rapallo, by that of Turgut.
- Under the Napoleonic domination, in 1813 the two borough of Corte and Pescino were unified as Porto Napoleone. 2 years later it was annexed to Kingdom of Sardinia as Santa Margherita Ligure commune.
- It became part of newly unified Kingdom of Italy in 1861.
- Connected by rail during the 20th century, Santa Margherita Ligure became a famous tourist resort after WWII.
- Main sights of interest include the castle, built in 1550 by the Republic of Genoa as defence against the attacks of North African pirates. The castle was designed by the architect of the Castle of Rapallo. Following World War I Santa Margherita Ligure was restored and entitled to Italian victims of the conflict.
- Worth seeing are also the Basilica of Saint Margaret of Antiochia, built on the remains of 13th-century church; Abbazia della Cervara, historically relevant abbey located on the road to Portofino; the complex Villa Durazzo, including a pair of patrician villas, 16th-century castle and splendid 17th-century park.
- Paraggi was a small village of millers and fishermen. It is situated along "Costa dei Delfini", halfway between Portofino and Santa Margherita. It lies 3 km (1.9 ml) from Santa Margherita, reachable by boat or by bus.
- Nozarego is a natural terrace lying over Bay of Tigullio. There is also the church of Santa Maria Assunta featuring a cobbled square. Several trails leave from Nozarego in the Park of Portofino.
- Located on the mountain's slopes, to the north, along Aurelia road leading to Genoa, there is frazione of San Lorenzo della Costa. In its namesake church of the 13th century, a Flemish triptych is preserved.
The Santa Margherita Ligure cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy.
If you lose the Santa Margherita Ligure location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Santa Margherita Ligure cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
4 May, 2017
13 May, 2017
16 May, 2017
30 May, 2017