Townsville is a port city located on Queensland's north-eastern coast (Australia). The city is adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef's central section and is the largest city north of Australia's Sunshine Coast (population around 180,000). The city is considered North Queensland's unofficial capital, hosting numerous community, governmental and large business administrative offices.
Popular tourist attractions include the long tropical beach and garden strip "The Strand"; Riverway, riverfront parkland attraction situated on the banks of river Ross; Reef HQ, a big tropical aquarium with many of the native flora and fauna of the Great Barrier Reef; Museum of Tropical Queensland, boasting a display of relics from HMS Pandora, a sunken British warship; Castle Hill, area's most prominent landmark and popular fitness destination; Townsville Sports Reserve; Magnetic Island, a big neighbouring island, with the vast majority of it being a national park.
The Australian Festival of Chamber Music is a famed international chamber music festival which is held over 10 days each July in Townsville. It has been running since 1991, and draws many acclaimed Australian and international musicians. Townsville has its own orchestra, Barrier Reef Orchestra, presenting concerts throughout North Queensland. Townsville Entertainment Centre, which seats over 5,000 people, is host to national and international music shows, sporting and trade shows.
Townsville Civic Theatre is the premier cultural facility of North Queensland. Since its opening in 1978, it has been centre of entertainment and performing arts, and provides an environment to further develop performing arts in the North.
Port Townsville (Queensland) currently operates a total of 8 berths and is ranked Northern Australia's largest container and automotive port. The port is the largest in the North Queensland region, starting operations in 1864. The port is approx 1360 km (845 ml) north of Brisbane.
Today, the port supports around 8,000 jobs and serve a population of nearly 800,000. Its main cargoes are imported essential goods (electrical, fuel, gas, furniture, cement, bitumen) and exports (local agricultural products and minerals). In financial year 2016-2017, the port handled nearly AUD 8 billion in shipping trade.
The port is Australia's largest exporter of minerals (copper, zinc, lead) as well as sugar, it serve over 20 direct shipping lines, offers over 40 services and links Australia with 136 international cargo ports.
- Port Townsville's main imports include cars, tyres, general cargo, cement, sulphuric acid, fertilisers, minerals (copper, nickel, zinc, copper anode), petroleum products, gas, sulphur, TEU containers (furniture, electrical and household goods, clothing, construction materials).
- The port's main exports are sugar, molasses, coke, tallow (animal fat), timber, fertilisers, TEU containers, live cattle, reefer containers (refrigerated meat), minerals (magnetite, copper, lead, zinc, zinc ferrite and oxide, silver), bulk cargo (sand, gravel), project cargo.
- In November 2017, the port authority introduced a new welcome uniform for the cruise ship tourists welcoming staff. The new uniform's design features silk panels and blue (tropics-themed) scarves. The "cruise ship uniforms" are designed by local designers and will be updated each year.
- Season 2018 started on Nov 29 with the 2016-built top luxury ship Seabourn Encore.
- In 2018, for the first time ever, P&O Cruises Australia partially homeported the Pacific Eden ship in Townsville QLD. The vessel was officially based in Cairns QLD, for a total of 10 roundtrips. The partial turnaround in Townsville was scheduled for September 7 (2018), allowing some local residents (around 400 passengers) to embark or disembark here.
- In 2018, the cruise port had scheduled a total of 19 ship calls (confirmed berth bookings).
In December 2017, Port Townsville received government's approval to invest AUD 27,3 million into new gantry cranes and improvements of its cargo handling infrastructure. The project will develop local jobs and increase the efficiency of the container terminal and all cargo berths.
- By this project, the new "Berth 4" (opened in 2018, project cost AUD 40,7 million) will serve as multi-use dock,
- The terminal's additional storage capacity and improved infrastructure will further ensure the port's growth in shipping traffic and cargo handling capacity.
- The port development plan ("Townsville Port Expansion Project") also included AUD193 million for Channel Capacity Upgrade - widening the port's navigational channels in order to allow access to larger sized vessels (container ships and bulk cargo carriers).
Townsville Port Authority also manages Port Lucinda (approx 100 km / 60 ml north of Townsville), which main export is raw sugar. The port has sugar cargo handling and storage facilities and 1 trestle jetty (conveyor) that runs out to an open sea berth fitted with shiploader. The jetty is one of the world's longest (5,6 km / 3,5 ml) - travel time 22 min from the sugar storage sheds to the berth. Port Lucinda sugar terminal is operated by the company Lucinda Bulk Sugar Terminal (subsidiary of Queensland Sugar Ltd).
Highlights: Aquarium, Magnetic Island, Great Barrier Reef
Port Townsville cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Townsville, Queensland Australia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|5 May, 2018|
|Oceania Insignia||08:00||15:00||Brisbane, Queensland Australia|
|8 May, 2018|
|Pacific Aria||07:00||14:00||Brisbane, Queensland Australia|
The Townsville cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Townsville, Queensland Australia.
If you lose the Townsville location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.