Upernavik (translated as "Springtime Place") is a port town located in Qaasuitsup (northwest Greenland), on the small-sized Upernavik Island. The town has population of around 1,200 people ranking it Greenland's 12th-largest town.
- Upernavik Island used to be known as Woman's / Women's Island. It is located in Baffin Bay (Upernavik Archipelago).
- In 1824, Kingittorsuaq Runestone was discovered outside the town. It features runic characters left by Norsemen, presumably from late 13th century. The runic characters list names of 3 Norsemen and mention construction of rock cairn close by.
- Upernavik is the furthest north which any Norse artifacts have been discovered, other than those little artifacts that could have been brought north by Inuit traders. The town of Upernavik marks the northern limit of Viking exploration.
- Due to the small size of the town, everything is walking distance away. Upernavik features as tourist attractions the Upernavik Museum.
- The town is served by Air Greenland. There are scheduled flights from Upernavik Airport to Ilulissat, Qaanaaq and Qaarsut. Most archipelago's settlements are served during weekdays with Bell 212 helicopter.
- In the summer, a ferry of Royal Arctic Line vavigates to local villages.
- An interesting fact is that Cyclist Hanne Malmberg (born November 19, 1964) was born in the town of Upernavik and represented Denmark at 1992 Summer Olympics.
Upernavik Greenland was included as port of call in the Northwest Passage cruises of the following passenger ships:
- Seven Seas Navigator - 63-days itinerary from Miami Florida to Montreal Quebec (2017 - June 17 to August 18)
- Note: All Northwest Passage ship transits are assisted by a Canadian icebreaker or other vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
Highlights: Small fishing port, puffin colonies
The Upernavik cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Upernavik, Greenland.
If you lose the Upernavik location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Upernavik cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Upernavik, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
7 July, 2018
17 July, 2018
27 July, 2018
30 July, 2018