White Island (Whakaari) is an active andesite stratovolcano, located 48 km (30 ml) from the east coast of North Island, New Zealand, in Bay of Plenty. It is the most active cone volcano of New Zealand, and has been built up by constant volcanic activity over the past 150,000 years.
- The closest mainland towns are Tauranga and Whakatane. The island has been in nearly continuous stage of smoking since in 1769 it was 'discovered' by James Cook (1728-1779).
- White Island is roughly circular, around 2 km (1,2 ml) in diameter. It rises up to a height of 1,053 ft (321 m) above sea level. However it is only the peak of the much bigger submarine mountain, rising up to 5,249 ft (1,600 m) above nearby seafloor.
- Sulfur mining was previously attempted but abandoned in 1914 when a lahar killed the 10 workers there. The major activities on the island are currently scientific research and guided tours.
- The island is privately owned. In 1953 it was declared private scenic reserve, and is subject to the provision of Reserves Act 1977. Tourists can't land here without permission. However, it's easily accessible by tourist operators that have been authorised.
- White Island has been identified as an IBA (Important Bird Area) by BirdLife International due to its breeding colony of around 3000 Australasian gannets' pairs. The waters that surround White Island are famous for their fishing.
Highlights: Active volcanic island
Port White Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from White Island, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|17 February, 2019|
|Le Laperouse||Napier, New Zealand|
The White Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near White Island, New Zealand.
If you lose the White Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.