The liner implemented additional onboard health & safety protocols in an attempt to stop the spread of the Coronavirus after last week's swab results overreached 4% of the crew tested positive for COVID. Some privileges have been revoked until the number of positive cases is reduced.
The cruise ship activated the following measures which remain until the situation improves/the number of cases reduces:
- More frequent sanitization of the crew areas (three times per day).
- The crew at all levels must avoid crossing the isolation area (Deck 9&10) without proper Personal Protective Equipment
- Exit in ports is not allowed (only shore-ex staff can escort groups during tours)
- Access for the crew at all levels is not allowed in the guest buffet area/bars & lounges/theatre/guest gym/guest pool
- Crew visitors are not allowed. The family cruise program is suspended
- The crew gym is closed and the crew bar is only for takeaway
- The crew disco is closed until further notice. The crew smoking area is now at Deck 7.
The ship's management is asking the crew members for cooperation in following the rules and other policies to avoid the spread of the Coronavirus, including washing/sanitizing hands often, avoiding necessary meetings, and social distancing.
The latest update is that after consideration the command of the ship decided to revise some restrictions/onboard activities including:
- The crew in need of fresh air are allowed to use the track on Deck 12 to walk/run from 10:00 p.m. till midnight
- The Deck 8 crew pool area remains open as long as there is sunlight
- The Crew Welfare Committee is suspended
- The sports court is closed until further notice.
For more MSC Sinfonia incidents and accidents see the ship's CruiseMinus page.