Gastro Outbreak Affects 90 Passengers on Princess Cruises Ship

   February 4, 2017 ,   Accidents

A gastro outbreak has affected about 90 holidaymakers on a Princess cruise ship, leaving others hoping to board in Port Brisbane with a prolonged wait as the ship is disinfected, according to Queensland Health.

Sun Princess docked in Brisbane on Thursday morning (February 2), having completed her 12-day voyage to Papua New Guinea. The ship operator Princess Cruises said the vessel and terminal would undergo a "prolonged disinfection" ahead of this evening's departure for a 14-day trip to New Zealand.

Boarding passengers said they were left waiting for up to two hours as the ship was disinfected. Cheers were heard as they were given the all-clear to board.

Princess Cruises said passengers waiting to board the ship had been notified about norovirus and appropriate hygiene standards.

Queensland Health said the virus was a common self-limiting illness which usually lasted for one to three days.

Princess Cruises said it was rare and unusual for passengers to pick up a stomach bug near the end of a cruise. The company said it was already on alert because norovirus had been active in the general community in recent months.

We and our partners store and/or access information on a device, such as cookies and process personal data, such as unique identifiers for personalized ads and content and audience insights, as well as to develop and improve products. By clicking “Allow All”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device.