AmaWaterways announced the return of popular wine hosts (along with new surprises) with season 2021.
With 60+ "Celebration of Wine River Cruises" (food and wine-themed voyages) through Europe, the luxury river cruise line will welcome aboard renowned wine experts, vineyard owners and certified sommeliers as shipboard hosts for professional lectures and onboard tasting events complementing the company's included in the fares tours and excursions ashore. Two new itineraries showcase the historic sights and epicurean traditions of France's Normandy region and take travellers for the first time to the Burgundy's vineyards.
Each "Celebration of Wine River Cruise" is hosted by a qualified wine expert from North America or a featured destination. The hosts bring hand-selected wines on the riverboat to serve during tastings, seminars or special meals - all included in the price of the voyage.
Marking the first entrance of AmaWaterways in the Burgundy region, the "Essence of Burgundy and Provence" itinerary showcases French wine and cuisine. Guests uncover the Roman history of Chalon-sur-Saone and delight in Tournus with its Romanesque abbey. The wine cruise explores French chateaux from Burgundy to Provence, inviting all guests onboard to taste their way through Lyon.
The Impressions of the "Seine and Paris" itinerary in 2021 is planned for AmaDante leaving from Le Havre to Paris (or reverse). The cruisetour is designed to offer more free time to enjoy complimentary e-biking along Seine River. Travellers can enjoy the optional (fully-escorted) 4-night land package in Brittany visiting Saint-Malo and Mont Saint Michel (UNESCO site).
Those looking for an enhanced wine experience on the two new itineraries can join the following wine hosts:
- (July 8) Dr Douglas Garman, a wine expert from Europa Village Winery, on the Impressions of the Seine & Paris sailing
- (August 5) Jason McClain, owner of McClain Winery, on the Essence of Burgundy & Provence sailing
- (August 12) L. Paul Vezzetti II, co-owner of The Vineyard at Hersey, on the Essence of Burgundy & Provence sailing
- (November 4) Peter Marks, Master of Wine, on the Essence of Burgundy & Provence sailing
- (November 4) Jody Elsom, owner and winemaker Elsom Cellars, on the Impressions of the Seine & Paris
- (November 11) Kevin Gott, wine expert and educator for Wente Vineyards, on the Essence of Burgundy & Provence sailing.
On November 13, 2021, for the first time ever, passengers can join England’s wine producer Chapel Down Vineyards for a "Melodies of the Danube" wine cruise.