MS Sylvia Earle is scheduled for launch in March 2021 (delivery in September) and named after Dr Sylvia Earle (marine biologist and oceanographer).
In a world-first, each of the 6 passenger decks (out of 8) will bear the name of a pioneering female conservationist; Carden Crea Wallace AM, Joanna Ruxton, Sharon Kwok, Bernadette Demientieff. Deck 5 is dedicated to Sylvia Earle herself.
The line up of incredible women includes:
- Dr. Sylvia Earle: ‘Hero of the Planet’, founder of The Sylvia Earle Alliance & Mission Blue.
- Bernadette Demientieff: Arctic Wildlife Guardian & Executive Director of the Gwich’in Steering Committee.
- Dr. Carden Wallace AM: Coral Conservation Champion & Principal Scientist Emeritus at the Queensland Museum.
- Joanna Ruxton: Plastic Free Pioneer & co-founder of Plastic Oceans UK (Ocean Generation).
- Sharon Kwok: Future Generation Educator & founder of AquaMeridian Conservation & Education Foundation.
Each deck will educate passengers onboard on the impressive conservation work that these women carry out and in turn, it will support the hopes of Aurora Expeditions of encouraging each traveller to become an Ambassador for the planet via onboard enrichment and excursions with the expedition team of experts.