Amirantes Islands (Les Amirantes) are a group of coral islands and atolls part of Seychelles' Outer Islands District. The island group covers a total area of approx 12 km2 (4,4 ml2) and have population under 500.
- Amirantes Islands stretch around 155 km (96 ml) from the African Islands (African Banks) in the north to Isle des Noeufs (Desnœufs) in the south, all on the shallow Amirantes Plateau (Amirantes Bank, with depths of 25-70 m), except the main island Ile Desroches located in the east, and Lady Denison-Pender Shoal situated at the northern end.
- Amirantes Islands include 8 single islands (5 low sand cays and 3 uplifted sand cays), plus 3 atolls with a total of 18 islets. The 5 largest in area are inhabited.
- 90 km south of Amirante Islands is situated the closest group of islands, Alphonse, which are often incorrectly considered part of Amirantes.
- Amirantes Islands were discovered by Vasco da Gama (1460s-1524) in 1502 during his 2nd voyage of exploration, and named Admiral Islands ("Ilhas do Almirante"). Previous knowledge of the isles by Arab and Indian traders is also possible. Together with the Seychelles, Amirantes Islands were first claimed by France (1742), while formal possession was claimed in 1756.
- By the Treaty of Paris of 1814, the islands were officially passed to the British, as part of Mauritius. The Seychelles became separate colony in 1909, thereby including Amirantes. On November 8, 1965, the UK split Ile Desroches from Seychelles to become part of newly established British Indian Ocean Territory. The goal was to allow the building of a military base for mutual benefit of the United States and the United Kingdom. On June 23, 1976 Ile Desroches was returned to Seychelles as a result of its attained independence.
Highlights: Unspoilt coral atolls, Desroches, Alphonse, Poivre, Saint Joseph
Amirantes Islands cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Amirantes Islands dock (anchor) at Victoria (Seychelles' capital on Mahe Island).
Port Amirantes Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Amirantes Islands, Seychelles. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|13 October, 2018|
|19 October, 2018|
|20 October, 2018|
The Amirantes Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Amirantes Islands, Seychelles.
If you lose the Amirantes Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.