Burnside LA is a Mississippi River cruise port and an unincorporated community located in Ascension Parish, Louisiana, USA. It was established by German and French settlers in 1726, during the French colonial period. The community was named after John Burnside - an Irish who owned The Houmas sugar plantation until his death in 1881. Three famous among tourists sites are located in Burnside, all listed on the USA's National Register of Historic Places. These are St Joseph's School, Tezcuco plantation and the Houmas House plantation.
The Houmas, also famous as Burnside Plantation and today known as Houmas House Plantation and Gardens, is actually a historic plantation complex in Burnside. The plantation was established in late 1700s, with the main house completed in 1840. The Houmas was named in honor of native Houma people, who occupied this area of Louisiana, United States. The complex, containing 8 buildings and 1 structure, as well as the 10 acres they rest upon, was added to National Register of Historic Places in September 1980.