32 °F / -0 °C
Cambridge is a port city located in Maryland (USA). The city covers a total area of approx 33 km2 (13 ml2) and has population around 13,000.
- Cambridge is the county seat of Dorchester County as well as county's largest municipality. It is the 4th most populous city in the Eastern Shore region of Maryland, following Salisbury, Elkton, Easton.
- Settled in 1684 by English colonists, the city of Cambridge is among the oldest colonial settlementes in Maryland. At the time of colonization, the Choptank Indians were living along a river of the same name. During colonial years, the English developed farming on the Eastern Shore and the largest plantations were initially devoted to tobacco, and later mixed farming. Cambridge became a trading center for the region. Its pier was the center for slave trading, a sad history documented in historical markers throughout the city center.
- In 2002, the economy of the city was boosted by tourism and jobs associated with the opening of 400-room resort named Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay, including a spa, marina and golf course. The resort was the site of US House Republican Conference in 2007, which included an address by President George W. Bush.
- On July 1, 2003 the city of Cambridge was designated Maryland Main Street community. Cambridge Main Street is a downtown revitalization process initiated by Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development which plans to strengthen the potential of select cities. The initiative led to enhancements of the heritage tourism attractions and currently, together with other cities located on the Eastern Shore, the city of Cambridge is attracting more visitors. It has revived its downtown business district (in 1990 part of it was designated a historical district).
- Cambridge city was the inspiration of Patamoke, the fictional town in James Michener's book, Chesapeake. In the novel, Patamoke is situated on a fictitious promontory on Choptank River, opposite of the actual location of Cambridge.
Port Cambridge cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Cambridge, Maryland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|12 May, 2020|