78 °F / 26 °C
Portsmouth is a port town in Dominica (St John Parish), located on Indian River and on the island's northwest coast. The town has population around 3,000. The port is located in Prince Rupert Bay.
Portsmouth is Dominica's 2nd largest city (after Roseau). Cabrits National Park is to the north.
- The town was initially the Dominica's capital, but after its population decreased due to a malaria outbreak in 1760 the capital was moved to Roseau.
- Near Portsmouth (in Picard) is located the Ross University School of Medicine, with over 1000 students mainly from Canada and the USA.
- There is a farmer's food market running in Portsmouth every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Another signature attraction is the Benjamin's Park hosting world-class cricket games.
- The area is the birthplace of Gordon Henderson of Exile One (cadence musical group of the 1970s), and local politician Roosevelt Douglas (1941-2000).
- The area has future plans for tourism development and employment in general. The Government of Japan is funding and building a fish processing plant in the town of Portsmouth.
Portsmouth cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Portsmouth Dominica dock (anchor) in Prince Rupert Bay. Passengers are transported via the ship's tender boats.
Port Portsmouth cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Portsmouth, Dominica. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|16 December, 2019|
|17 December, 2019|
|Spirit of Discovery||08:00||17:00|
|30 December, 2019|
|30 December, 2019|
The Portsmouth cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Portsmouth, Dominica.
If you lose the Portsmouth location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
Dominica welcomed its first cruise ship visit to its shore since devastating Hurricane Maria in September. The Nature Island welcomed Sea Cloud...January 3, 2018
- show more news