79 °F / 27 °C
Pulau Madura is an Indonesian island located off Java Island's northeastern coast. It has land area of approx 5168 km2 (1995 ml2) and population over 3,6 million.
- This island area also includes smaller islaes (gilis) to the east and north of Madura. The island is separated from Java Island via Strait of Madura.
- This is among the poorest regions of East Java province. The soil is not fertile enough for agriculture. The limited economy results in poverty, chronic unemployment, long-term emigration.
- From Bangkalan (on the western coast) the island is within a short ferry ride from Indonesia's 2nd-largest city Surabaya (East Java's capital city). This made Bangkalan practically a suburb for commuters to the city.
- Local economy is largely subsistence - agriculture in small landholdings (producing mainly maize), cattle-raising, small-scale fishing. Export industries include tobacco farming (producing tobacco and cloves for the domestic clove cigarette industry) and salt.
- Bangkalan, on the western end of the island, has industrialized substantially since the 1980s. This region is within a short ferry ride of Surabaya, Indonesia's second-largest city, and hence has gained a role as a suburb for commuters to Surabaya, and as a location for industry and services that need to be near the city. Surabaya-Madura Bridge (opened in June 2009) is a cable bridge connecting Surabaya with Bangkalan. This toll bridge has length of 5438 m (17841 ft) and height 146 m (479 ft).
- Pulau Madura is famous for its bull-racing competition ("karapan sapi"). During the event, jockeys ride wooden sleds (pulled by two bulls) over a course of 100 m for 10-15 seconds.
Pulau Madura Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Pulau Madura Island Island dock (anchor) at Sumenep - port town on the eastern coast.
Port Pulau Madura Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Pulau Madura Island, Sumenep, Indonesia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|4 May, 2019|
The Pulau Madura Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Pulau Madura Island, Sumenep, Indonesia.
If you lose the Pulau Madura Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.