Silhouette Island is located approx 20 km (12 ml) northwest of Mahe Island, Seychelles. It is ranked country's 3rd largest island, with total area approx 20 km2 (8 ml2) and population under 300.
- Island's main settlement (La Passe) has also a Hilton Hotel. The island is mountainous, with 5 peaks over 500 m (1600 ft). Highest elevation point (Mt Dauban) is 751 m (2464 ft) above sea level. This also makes Silhouette one of Seychelles islands with most dramatic scenery.
- In 1609, the crew of English East India Company's ship Ascension were the first Europeans to step on the island.
- From mid-19th century until 1960, the island was privately-owned - by Dauban family (from France). In 1830 they settled in Mauritius. They developed extensive plantations here. Several family members were buried here. Family's extensive business ventures earned it the nickname "Rothschilds of the Indian Ocean".
- The era of Dauban family came to an end after Henri Dauban sold the island to a French group, which in 1983 sold it to Seychelles. A small hotel was built, later replaced by Labriz Resort (soon acquired by Hilton Hotels and Resorts). Dauban plantation house was restored.
- Silhouette Island is among the richest biodiversity hot-spots in western Indian Ocean, featuring many endemic and threatened species of animals and plants. Among them is the critically endangered Seychelles sheath-tailed bat. The surrounding waters were declared Marine National Park in 1987.
- Silhouette National Park was founded in 2010, protecting 93% of island's land. The island is also designated IBA (Important Bird Area).
Silhouette Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Silhouette Island dock (anchor) at La Passe, port village on the eastern coast.
The Silhouette Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Silhouette Island, Seychelles.
If you lose the Silhouette Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.