Amami Oshima Island is one of Japan's Satsunan Islands. Being the largest within Amami archipelago, the island covers a total area of approx 712 km2 (275 ml2) and has population around 73,000.
- Administratively, the island is divided into Amami city, the towns of Tatsugo, Setouchi, and the villages Yamato and Uken. Much of the island is within Amami Gunto Quasi-National Park.
- Amami Oshima is Japan's 7th largest island (located in a Japanese archipelago, and excluding the disputed Kuril Islands). It is approx 380 km (210 nml) south of the southern tip of Kyushu Island and approx 250 km (130 nml) north of Okinawa.
- The island's highest elevation poiny (Mount Yuwanda) is 605 m (1985 ft) above sea level. The coast is surrounded by a coral reef. The Pacific Ocean is on the east and East China Sea - on the west.
- The climate is humid subtropical, with mild winters and very warm summers. Rainy season is May through September. The island is subject to repeated typhoons.
- The island's economy is based mainly on agriculture (rice, sweet potatoes, sugar cane), commercial fishing, distillation of shochu (alcoholic beverage with 45% alcohol volume) and seasonal tourism. The favorable climate allows for 2 rice crops per year. Traditional crafts include hand-made silk.
- Amami City's Port Naze is a major regional ferry port. The island is also served by Amami Airport (on the northern end) linking it via domestic flights with Tokyo, Naha, Fukuoka, Kagoshima and Osaka, and via short flights to other Amami islands.
Since March 2018, Amami-Oshima is connected to Yakushima islands via weekly cruiseferry service. The charter flight service between the islands was started in February 2018. Amami-Oshima tourism was also boosted by the introduction of new routes connecting sightseeing sites in Kagoshima Prefecture. Until 2018, there were no ferries or flights directly linking the islands.
The ferry service's 1-year trial started on March 4, 2018. The regularly scheduled service is offered once every 4 days. It links Naha with Kagoshima via Port Naze (Amami-Oshima Island). The cruiseferry also visits Port Miyanoura port (Yakushima Island) if a minimum of 20 passengers make reservations.
Highlights: Beaches, Museums
Amami Oshima Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Amami Oshima Island dock (anchor) at Amami (Port Naze) - port town located on the northern coast.
Port Amami Oshima Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Amami Oshima Island, Japan. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|13 April, 2018|
|ms Volendam||12:00||20:00||Naha, Okinawa Island, Japan|
|25 April, 2018|
|Silver Discoverer||13:00||19:00||Naha, Okinawa Island, Japan|
The Amami Oshima Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Amami Oshima Island, Japan.
If you lose the Amami Oshima Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.