Ascension Island is located in the South Atlantic Ocean (about midway between Africa and South America). This is a volcanic island (total area 34 ml2 / 88 km2) which was once a regular call port for ships from Europe to South Africa. More recently, the island became known for its involvement in the Falkland War (aka Guerra del Atlántico Sur) in April 1982 between Argentina and the UK.
Ascension Island is one of the the British Overseas Territories - the dependency of "Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha". Saint Helena is UK's second-oldest dependency (overseas territory) after Bermuda.
Ascension Island is located approx 700 ml (1126 km) northwest of St Helena Island, and was first discovered by the Portuguese in 1501. It remained uninhabited until 1815 when the French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821) was exiled to Saint Helena and the British established a guarding garrison here.
The island features long white-sand beaches, sea turtles, variety of seabirds (frigate birds, boobies, boatswain, noddies, petrels). There is also a Museum and an afield, also serving plane tours to see the island's 44 volcanic craters.
In June 2017, the cancellation of all flights from Ascension Island also resulted in cruise itinerary changes and cancellations.
- All flights were cancelled until at least 2019 due to structural failure (potholes) on the island's runway. Additionally, flights to Falkland Islands were rerouted as the plane Airbus A330 MRTT (abbrev "Multi Role Tanker Transport") operating the route was too heavy for the damaged runway.
- The polar cruise company Oceanwide Expeditions had travelers booked on its "Atlantic Odyssey" itinerary operated by the ship MV Plancius.
- The 36-nights long "Atlantic Odyssey including Antarctic Peninsula" cruise itinerary (Ushuaia to Ascension) included as ports of calls / destinations Ushuaia Argentina, sea days (2, 3, 8, 9, 11-14, 18-22, 27-30, 34, 35), Antarctica (days 4-7 / Cuverville Island, Ronge Island, Danco Island, Lemaire Channel, Petermann Island, Melchior Islands, Drake Passage), Ushuaia, South Georgia Island, Gough Island, Tristan da Cunha Island, St Helena Island, and Ascension.
- Booked travelers on 2 itineraries (codes PLA33-18 and PLA35-18) had to be rebooked on itinerary PLA36-18 (Ascension to Praia Cape Verde) for 6 nights. From Praia, they departed for their home flights.
- Due to the Ascension flights cancellations, itineraries PLA34-18 and PLA32-18 were canceled.
- MV Plancius passengers booked on the affected cruises were given 50% discount on the fares paid. For new bookings, the company offered 20% discount on the fares for the Ascension to Praia cruise.
RMS St Helena ship (the above photo) continued to operate the sea route from Cape Town South Africa to Saint Helena Island and Ascension Island. This ferry service was scheduled to continue until February 2018, or until the St Helena Island's air service is operational.
Highlights: Isolated volcanic island, beaches, Georgetown
Ascension Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Ascension Island dock (anchor) at Georgetown - port town (and the only settlement) on the western coast.
The Ascension Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Ascension Island, Georgetown, UK.
If you lose the Ascension Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Ascension Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Ascension Island, Georgetown, UK. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
19 February, 2018