Belle-Ile-en-Mer (aka Belle Isle) is located off the coast of Brittany (northwestern France), approx 14 km (9 ml) from Quiberon peninsula. The island's main settlements are named Bangor (population ~1000), Le Palais (port town, population ~3000), Locmaria (port town, population ~1000) and Sauzon (population ~1000).
- Belle Isle measures 17 x 9 km (10,5 x 5,5 ml), has average altitude of 40 m (131 ft) and covers a total area of around 84 km2 (32 ml2). Its coasts are a mix between sharp and dangerous cliff edges on (on the southwestern side), wild coast (Cote Sauvage) and placid beaches (the biggest is named les Grands Sables) and navigable harbours (on the northeastern side). The island's climate is oceanic, having milder winters and less rain than on mainland France.
- The two major ports are Sauzon (accessible via ferry from Lorient and Quiberon) and Le Palais (accessible via ferry from Port-Navalo, Quiberon and Vannes).
- There used to be forests on Belle Isle, but these have disappeared long time ago because of increasing agricultural use of land.
- The population of Belle Isle was 4,920 people according to the 2009 census. However, during summer months it may increase up to 25,000 with a 35,000 peak between July 15-August 15 due to tourist activity. In the summer the population of the island increases dramatically, because many people have a 2nd home there.
- Festival de Belle Isle (Lyrique en Mer) is the largest opera festival held in western France. Established in 1998 by Richard Cowan (1957-2015), American opera singer, it produces a couple of staged operas every summer, directed by Mr.Cowan, Artistic Director, and conducted by Philip Walsh, Music Director.
- There are also sacred concerts in all 4 of the historic churches on Belle Isle, as well as a wealth of Master Classes and smaller concerts. Lyrique en Mer provides wide support from the business community of France, as well as from Conseil Général and Conseil Régional.
Highlights: Le Palais, la Citadelle, Sauzon
Belle Isle cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Belle Isle ((Belle-Ile-en-Mer) dock (anchor) at Le Palais - port town on the eastern coast.
The Belle Isle cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Belle Isle, Le Palais, France.
If you lose the Belle Isle location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Belle Isle cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Belle Isle, Le Palais, France. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
22 April, 2018
23 April, 2018
25 April, 2018