Snares Islands (also known as The Snares or Tini Heke), is a small island group located about 200 km (124 ml) south of New Zealand's South Island and to the southwest of Stewart Island. The islands cover a total area of approx 3,5 km2 (1,35 ml2) and have a population of around 50 people.
- The Snares consist of North East Island, which is the main one, and the smaller Broughton as well as the Western Chain Islands 5 km (3,1 ml) to the south-west.
- The island group was sighted for the first time by Europeans on November 23, 1791 independently by the a couple of ships HMS Discovery under Capt. George Vancouver (1757-1798), and HMS Chatham commanded by Lieut. William R. Broughton (1762-1821), both of Vancouver Expedition. Captain Vancouver named the islands "The Snares" as he considered them a shipping threat.
- The islands of Snares were already known to the Maori. They named one of the bigger islands "The sea-monster" (Te Taniwha). Unlike other subantarctic isles which were greatly affected by the sealing and whaling industry during the 19th century, Snares Islands remain one of the last pristine regions in New Zealand.
- Ngai Tahu Claims Settlement Act 1998 altered the name of the islands to "Snares Islands/Tini Heke", which is one of the many such changes under Ngai Tahu Treaty settlement.
- Snares Islands enjoy a status of high protection. They are rated as "minimum impact islands" by New Zealand Department of Conservation. Landing on Snares Islands is prohibited or only by special research permit.
- Snares Islands area is among the five subantarctic island groups that form the New Zealand Subantarctic Islands, designated by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
The Snares Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Snares Islands, New Zealand.
If you lose the Snares Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Snares Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Snares Islands, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
10 January, 2018