55 °F / 13 °C
Bar is a port town located in Montenegro's southern part. The small town has population around 17,700 ((municipality 42,000).
- "Bar" is the shortened form of "Antivari", which is derived from the location of the town across Adriatic Sea from Bari Italy.
- The Port of Bar is city's most recognizable feature. It occupies a total of 3,100 m (10,170 ft) of seacoast, land area 800 ha, as well as an aquatorium of 200 ha. Bar Port is capable of reloading 5 mill tons of goods per year. In 1976, Belgrade-Bar railway was opened and made Adriatic coast accessible to visitors, and transport to Port of Bar.
- The Primorka food company has been operating in the town of Bar for over 50 years. It produces pomegranate juice and olive oil. There are around 95,000 olive trees, 80,000 citrus trees (orange, lemon, grapefruit and tangerine) in the municipal area. Montenegro's oldest scientific institution is the centre for subtropical cultures, established in 1937. Tourism is a major part of Bar's economy.
- The town of Bar boasts a ferry line to Bari, Italy operated by Montenegro Lines. Ferries also sail to Ancona, Italy. Bar is connected with inland Montenegro and with the rest of Montenegrian coast.
- Despite the fact that there are some beautiful stony beaches in Bar, many tourists prefer destinations in other little towns in the municipality, notably Sutomore, with its long sandy beach. Rich in vegetation and mostly untouched is the natural area around Bar. The municipality of Bar encompasses Krajina region and reaches the southern shore of Skadar lake. The entire area is suitable for hiking and leisure activities.
Port Bar cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Bar, Montenegro. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|13 September, 2019|
|16 September, 2019|