Bezdan is a Danube River cruise port located in Serbia (West Backa District). The town has a population of around 4,000.
Bezdan has a Hungarian ethnic majority. The village was first mentioned in 1305 as "Battyan", while in 1341 it was mentioned under the name "Betsan." The village was destroyed in the 16th century during an Ottoman invasion. After the establishment of the Habsburg rule, it was settled by Poles, Czechs, Germans, and Hungarians. The first church in Bezdan was built in 1755, while the current one was erected in 1846.
Bezdan is among the largest settlements in northwest Backa, situated at the left banks of Danube River, in the meeting-angle of Hungary-Croatia-Serbia. It lies at the crossroads of the road from Sombor to Croatia, in Backi Breg direction and continues to Hungary. A bridge over the river, built in 1974, links mankind and relieves the goods' movement.
The popular name of Bezdan is “water settlement”, as it is surrounded by water. The only way to get to Bezdan is by crossing one of the bridges around the village.
Bezdan is one of the larger places in north-west Bachka. It lies 6 km (3,7 ml) away from the Croatian, 10 km (6,2 ml) from the Hungarian border and 18 km (11,2 ml) away from Sombor. Bezdan is on the left bank of Danube, in the middle of plain, 90 m (295 ft) above sea level.
Bezdan with its surrounding area is the perfect place for those who love nature, hunting, and fishing. The air and water are still clean, as there are no industrial polluters.