84 °F / 30 °C
Chandannagar is a Hooghly River cruise port in West Bengal, India. This is a former French colony located 35 km (22 ml) north of Kolkata. Hooghly River is a distributary of (branch flowing away from) Ganga River. The city covers a total area of 19 km2 (7 ml2) and has population around 170,000.
Chandannagar is headquarter of subdivision of same name located in Hooghly District. It is also one of the seven municipal corporations found in West Bengal and part of the area that is covered by Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. The city lies on Hooghly River and has been able to maintain its unique identity which is different from all other cities. Chandannagar is linked to Kolkata by roadways, railway and Hooghly river. It takes about an hour to be reached by car.
Places of tourist interest in Chandannagar include:
- Chandannagore Strand is a tree-shaded promenade along Hooghly River about 1 km (0,62 ml) in length and 7 m (23 ft) in width. Along the way there are many buildings of historical importance. It is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike.
- Institut de Chandernagor (Chandannagore Museum and Institute) is one of the oldest museums in the region. It features a collection of French antiques which are hard to find anywhere else in the world. Chandannagore Museum and Institute still teaches French via regular classes.
- l'Eglise du Sacré Cœur (The Sacred Heart Church of Chandannagar) is situated close to The Strand. Designed by French Architect Jacques Duchatz, it was inaugurated on January 27, 1884 by by Paul Goethals. The church stands for more than 2 centuries to mark the beauty of architecture during the French period.
- The French Cemetery has 150 tombs. It is located on Grand Trunk Road opposite Lal Dighi lake.
- Chandanangar Gate was built in 1937, to mark the Fall of Bastille. It has the French Revolution slogan "Liberte, egalite, fraternite (Liberty, equality and fraternity)" on it.
- Patal-Bari (The Underground House) is another beautiful example of advancement in architecture and aesthetic sense of the men of those earlier days. The lowest floor is submerged in River Ganges.
- Nandadulal Temple was built by Indranarayan Roychoudhury in 1740. It is an excellent example of ancient sculptures in India.
- Nritya Gopal Smriti Mandir was built by Sri Harihar Sett, and later donated to Chandannagore's people. The building still serves as a library and theatre hall. It features one of the largest collections of books in English, Bengali and French in the district.
- Bishalakshmi temple is located close to Brahmin para, Boubazar. The history of the ancient temple is not known properly.
- Chandernagore Heritage Museum has archival materials on Chandernagor's history.
- Radhanath Sikdar Himalayan Museum located at Ananda Cottage, Bagbazar and sports a display of mountaineering equipment and history associated with such artefacts.
Port Chandannagar cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Chandannagar, India. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|12 October, 2019|
The Chandannagar cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Chandannagar, India.
If you lose the Chandannagar location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.