8 °F / -13 °C
Collonges-la-Rouge is a Rhone River cruise port located in southeastern France (Correze, Nouvelle-Aquitaine region). The small town covers a total area of approx 14 km2 (6 ml2) and has population around 500.
- Collonges-la-Rouge is built entirely with red sandstone. The existence of the commune is proven since the 8th century due to the donation of count of Limoges of the parish to monastery of Charroux.
- Collonges-la-Rouge village is a member of Les Plus Beaux Villages de France (translated to "The Most Beautiful Villages of France") association. It is actually where the association was established and is also one of the most visited sites in Nouvelle-Aquitaine.
- The marketplaces in Collonges-la-Rouge date back to the 16th and 17th centuries. The covered passage is listed as historical monument.
- Maison de la Sirene has a vaulted porch and dates back to 16th century. Its owner was Henry de Jouvenel, one of the husbands of writer Colette. It is also listed as a historical monument. A three franc postage stamp representing Maison de la Sirene was issued July 3, 1982
- Saint-Pierre church, which dates back from the 11th, 12th and 15th centuries, features a romance curved steeple that is one of the oldest of Nouvelle-Aquitaine region. The church was fortified during 16th-century French wars of religion. The remarkable gates are decorated via 12th-century tympanum which was carved in white stone and contrasts with the red stone of the rest of Collonges-la-Rouge village, representing Christчя ascension dominating his mother and the eleven apostles. During the wars of religion it was hidden and only replaced in 1923.