Arctic - Antarctica
21 °F / -6 °C
Cuverville Island (officially Ile de Cavelier de Cuverville) is a rocky island in Antarctica. It is located between Arctowski Peninsula (off the west coast of Graham Land) and Ronge Island's northern part.
The island was discovered and mapped during the Belgian Antarctic Expedition (1897-1899) led by Baron Adrien de Gerlache (a Belgian Royal Navy officer, 1866-1934). He named the island to honor Count Jules Marie Armand de Cavelier de Cuverville (a French Navy vice admiral, 1834-1912).
Cuverville Island is an Important Bird Area (officially identified by BirdLife International). It supports a breeding gentoo penguins colony of over 6500 pairs. The colony is Antarctic Peninsula's largest for the species. Other nesting birds that can be seen here are southern giant petrels (aka Antarctic giant petrel, and also giant fulmar) and imperial shags (black and white cormorants).
Cuverville Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Cuverville Island anchor near the shore and their passengers are transported to the landing area via the ship's Zodiacs (large-capacity inflatable boats).
The following map shows the island's location as part of an Antarctica cruise itinerary visiting Graham Land's most popular landing points - Cape Renard, Paradise Harbour, and Neko harbour.