Farquhar Atoll is part of the Farquhar Group of islands in the Seychelles, which are part of Outer Islands. Farquhar is approx 770 km (478 mi) southwest of the capital, Victoria, on Mahe Island.
In 1824 the Farquhar Atoll was christened in honor of Robert Townsend Farquhar. Previous visitors had called it after Portuguese explorer Joao da Nova who commanded the nation’s 3rd expedition to India during which, in 1504, he encountered Farquhar. For many years administration of the atoll was grey area, with both Seychelles and Mauritius claiming the rights to administer it. In 1881, Seychelles' authorities suggested Farquhar and several other outer isles, be administered from Victoria rather than from Mauritius. After considerable argument, the case was lost and administration was passed to Seychelles. On the north islands, fishing camps were established in 1850.
The main group of isles form a long curve describing the eastern side of Farquhar Atoll. The largest of these are South Farquhar and North Farquhar, with the smaller Manaha between them. Farther south is located Goëlettes. To the atoll's western side lies Sable Island, and near it a group famous as Trois Islands.