Fitzroy Island (aka Koba, and Gabar) is a large island located in Coral Sea, approx 29 km (18 ml) southeast of Cairns (Queensland, Australia). It features a rainforest and a fringe coral reef part of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
- The island has a land area of 3,4 km2 (1,3 ml2) and highest elevation point 375 m (1230 ft).
- The climate is tropical, with temperatures raging between 24-31 C (75-88 F) in the summer and 19-25 C (66-77 F) in the winter.
- The island separated from mainland around 8000 years ago, nearly at the end of the last ice age. Aboriginal people visited Fitzroy, mainly for hunting trips and recreation.
- Fitzroy Island was discovered and named in 1770 by James Cook (1728-1779). It was first used as a Chinese quarantine station for the goldfields of Queensland. During WW2 (1939-1945) it was used as a coast watch station.
- Fitzroy Island is served by a 45-min ferry from Cairns (roughly 30 km / 19 ml distance). Almost all of the island is a protected area within Fitzroy Island National Park.
- The Fitzroy Island resort offers around 100 rooms in addition to its camping area. The property was bought and developed by Doug Gamble and last refurbished in 2010.
- The clam farm (Welcome Bay) is now the tourist resort, with the island's visitor centre. There are all 4 walking trails available for trekking, and a lighthouse (in the northeastern part).
Fitzroy Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Fitzroy Island dock (anchor) at Cairns on Trinity Bay, Far North Queensland.
Port Fitzroy Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Fitzroy Island, Queensland Australia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|23 October, 2018|
|MV Coral Expeditions II|
The Fitzroy Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Fitzroy Island, Queensland Australia.
If you lose the Fitzroy Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.