46 °F / 8 °C
Methoni is a seaside resort town located on Peloponnese's southern coast, approx 12 km (7 ml) south of Pylos. Methoni is best-known for its beautiful sandy beaches and the bastions of Methoni Castle - 15th-century Venetian fortress built to protect the pilgrims traveling to Holy Land. Part of the castle complex are a Frankish gate, Turkish baths ruins, Aghia Sophia (Byzantine church). On the fortified islet (at castle's south end) there is an octagonal tower (Bourtzi) that can be reached by a causeway.
The site was fortified during 7th century BC. In the period 395-1204 AD, it was used as Byzantine fortress. For a short period, the region was dominated by the Franks. In 1206 it was captured by the Venetians. They strengthened the fortification, incorporating pre-Christian defensive structures. Methoni was captured by the Osman Turks in 1500, but came under Venetian occupation once again in the period 1685-1715, then was again captured by the Turks (1715-1829).