Mount Vernon VA is a Potomac River cruise port in Virginia's Fairfax County, located near Alexandria VA (independent city across from Maryland's Prince George's County). Mount Vernon is an unincorporated town with population around 13,000. Annually, the area receives 1+ million tourists.
On the above drawing (George Washington's Plantation plan) are marked Bowling Green (A), Greenhouse Slave Quarters (B), Shoemaker's Shop (C), Blacksmith Shop (D), Overseer's Quarters (E), Spinning House (F), Storehouse-Clerk's Quarters (G), Kitchen (H), Coach House-Stables-Paddock (I), Slave Cabin (J), Slave Memorial-Cemetery (K).
As cruise port, Mount Vernon VA is included in the regular schedule of USA's largest river cruise company - ACL-American Cruise Lines. Next table shows ACL's 10-day "American Revolution Cruise" itinerary roundtrip from Baltimore MD.
|Date / Time||Port|
|Day 1||Departing from Baltimore, Maryland|
|Day 2||Norfolk, Virginia|
|Days 3-4||Yorktown-Williamsburg-Yorktown, Virginia|
|Day 5||Washington DC|
|Day 6||Mount Vernon, Virginia|
|Day 7||Cambridge, Maryland|
|Day 8||St Michaels, Maryland|
|Day 9||Annapolis, Maryland|
|Day 10||Arriving in Baltimore, Maryland|
Mount Vernon Plantation was a large estate owned by George Washington (1732-99, the USA's first President / 1789-97) and his wife Martha Washington (1731-1802, the USA's inaugural First Lady / 1789-97). The estate's land was owned by the Washington family since 1674. The property was first expanded in 1734 and the expansion continued under George Washington, who became its sole owner in 1761.
The mansion was initially built of wood (by Augustine Washington, George's father) and inaugurated in 1734. The house was expanded by George twice (in the late-1750s and 1770s). Here he lived and died (on December 14, 1799). Under several successive generations, the estate progressively declined due to insufficient revenues needed for its maintenance. In 1858, the estate was acquired by the non-profit organization Mount Vernon Ladies' Association (1853-founded by Ann Pamela Cunningham) and was fully restored.
The current property is sized 500 acres (200 hectares / 2 km2) and consists of the Mansion and 30+ other buildings, most of which are near the riverfront. Initially (during President Washington's time) the plantation was sized 8000 acres (3200 hectares / 32 km2). In 1960, Mount Vernon Estate was designated "National Historic Landmark" and listed on the USA's "National Register of Historic Places".
In 1858, the Washington family sold the mansion and part of the plantation's land to Mount Vernon Ladies' Association for USD 200,000 (~USD 5,714 million in 2014 dollars). Since February 1860, the estate is owned and maintained by Mount Vernon Ladies Association, and open for tourists every day the whole year-round (including on holidays). The airspace above Mount Vernon VA is restricted for flights to prevent damages from vibrations.