Poros Island is located in the southern part of Saronic Gulf, approx 58 km (36 mi) south from Piraeus. The island is separated from Peloponnese by a 200 m (656 ft) wide sea channel, with Galatas on mainland Greece (across the strait). The island has total area approx 31 km2 (12 mi2) and population around 4,000.
- The ancient name of the island of Poros was Pogon. Just like other ports located in the Saronic Gulf, it is a popular weekend destination for travelers from Athens.
- Poros Island consists of 2 isles - Sphairia (the southern part) and Kalaureia (aka Calauria or Kalavria, the northern / biggest part). A bridge links the isles over a narrow strait.
- The island has rich vegetation. Much of its northern, far eastern and western sides are bushy, whereas vast areas of old pine forest lie in the south and center. The island has a good road network and well-developed tourist infrastructure, making it a popular resort travel destination for Greek short breaks.
- Though having no airport, the island is easily accessible from Piraeus (via hydrofoils or ferries). It can be also reached by bus or car from mainland Greece (Galatas).
- The Archaeological Museum (at Korizis Square) houses relics from the Sanctuary of Poseidon (island's northern part), ancient Troizen, and other archaeological sites located nearby.
- Poros Island was the site of the first modern Greek naval base, established in 1827 during the Greek Revolution (1821-29) against the Ottoman Empire.
Poros Island cruise terminal
Ferries and cruise ships to Poros Island dock (anchor) at Poros - port town on the southern coast.
Port Poros Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Poros Island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|12 August, 2022|
- Cruise Industry
Saronic Ferries (Greece) announced a partnership with C-Job Naval Architects (naval engineering firm) for the design of what will be the first all...July 12, 2022
- show more news