Port Mathurin is main seaport (harbour) and capital of Rodrigues Island (Mauritius), with population around 6,000.
The first European (French explorer Francois Leguat) arrived on the island in May 1691. Port Mathurin was established by French colonists in 1735. Town's main tourist attractions include open-air market, Roman Catholic church, Anglican church, mosque, Rodrigues College (secondary school). The island is served by two regularly scheduled cargo ships (visiting 5 times monthly).
Rodrigues Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Rodrigues Island dock at Port Mathurin - harbour on the island's central-north coast.