Falkland Islands (aka Islas Malvinas) are located in the South Atlantic Ocean, approx 300 ml (483 km) east of South America's Patagonian coast.
- The archipelago has a total land area of 4700 ml2 (12000 km2) and population around 3,000.
- The main isles are named East Falkland, West Falkland and 776 smaller isles, inlcuding Carcass, New island, Saunders and West Point.
- Part of the archipelago are also the Jason Islands - located to the northwest.
- Being a British overseas territory, the Falklands are a sovereignty (self-governance), and the UK is responsibie for the islands' defence and foreign affairs. The official language is English. Under the Falkland Islands Act of 1983, all Falklanders (aka Kelpers) are British citizens.
- The capital city is Stanley, located on the East Falkland Island.
- At various times, the Falklands have been inhabited by French, British, Spanish and Argentineans. In 1833 Great Britain reasserted its rule over this territory. However, Argentina claims it since 1982, when Argentine military forces briefly occupied the isles, starting the 2-month long Falklands War. In 2009, the UK's prime minister met with the Argentine president and said that there will be no further talks over the Falklands' sovereignty. In 2013, Falkland Islands had a referendum, when 99,8% of the voters favoured the UK rule.
- The islands's economy is based mainly on commercial fishing, tourism (including by cruise ship passengers), sheep farming (high-quality wool export).
In April 1982 started an armed conflict with Argentina invading the islands and temporarily occupying them until an UK military force retook them in June 1982. After the war, the UK built the Mount Pleasant Airport Complex and increased its local garrison. As result of the war, on the islands there are still around 20,000 land mines. Due to the great number of casualties, the attempts to clear them ceased in 1983.
The following map of Falkland Islands shows the names and location of all ports, towns and bays.
Highlights: Port Stanley
The Falkland Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Falkland Islands.
If you lose the Falkland Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Falkland Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Falkland Islands. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
28 October, 2017
29 October, 2017
Lindblad Expeditions-National Geographic announced a couple of exclusive opportunities for the first time ever to fly one way to / from the...July 29, 2017
An engine fire on Ponant luxury cruise yacht Le Boreal caused hundreds of travelers to be evacuated earlier today while the vessel was sailing...November 18, 2015
- show more news