MS Fram Review and Specifications
Specifications of MS Fram
|Year built||2007 / Age : 11|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Monfalcone, Italy)|
|Class||ice-strengthened expedition ship|
|Speed||16 kn / 30 kph / 18 mph|
|Length (LOA)||113 m / 371 ft|
|Beam (width)||20 m / 66 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||11647 gt|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||HRH Mette-Marit (Crown Princess of Norway)|
Review of MS Fram
Launched in 2007, MS Fram cruise ship is a specially designed Antarctica expedition vessel in the Hurtigruten's fleet (“1B” ice class double hull). The ship's name means “forward” in Norwegian. The ship was named after its wooden namesake used between 1893-1912 by Norwegian North Pole explorers Roald Amundsen, Fridtjof Nansen, Oscar Wisting and Otto Sverdrup. The original expedition ship is preserved at the “Fram Museum” in Oslo Norway.
History - construction and ownership
The shipowner Hurtigruten is a Norwegian passenger shipping company specializing in cruise and ferry services. The "Norwegian Coastal Express Route" (Bergen-Kirkenes) is a cargo-passenger ferry service along Norway's western and northern coast. Hurtigruten's cruiseferries sail nearly the entire length of Norway and complete this roundtrip itinerary in 11 days. The route also includes Lofoten Islands and Vesteralen Islands.
The 11,647-ton, 318-passenger cruise ship ms Fram was built in 2007 to sail in Antarctica. The Hurtigruten's expedition ship offers adventures in a more safe and comfortable way. With this addition to its fleet, the cruise line presented an option for both relaxation and discovery. Specially designed for cruising in polar waters, Fram holds the highest safety standards. She is the perfect size for guests’ comfort and optimum nautical maneuverability. Boarding ms Fram will take passengers closer to nature and wildlife.
December 2007, ms Fram lost power and hit a glacier in Antarctica. The vessel was damaged to her starboard side but despite the accident was able to continue the voyage.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Fram itinerary program is based on Greenland and Arctic cruises during summer in the northern hemisphere, and roundtrip Antarctica voyages during winter months, leaving from Argentina.
MS Fram has a total of 137 cabins (of which 38 Suite, 88 Oceanview, 9 Inside, 2 for disabled) in 8 grades. Most ms Fram staterooms are 85-140-sq.foot Oceanview rooms. The largest aboard ms Fram are the Grand Suites (400 ft2). These are with one or two rooms, and have private balconies, separate sitting area, queen beds and Internet access.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
All meals take place in Fram's Imaq ("Sea") restaurant on Deck 4. Picture windows line on three sides of the 2-level room, offering sweeping ocean views. Breakfast and lunch are buffet-style and open-seating. The serving area is situated in the center of the restaurant in a square formation. It's seldom crowded as meals are spread out over a couple of hours. Some dinners are open seating self-service buffets, while others are plated meals served in one or two seatings, depending on how full the cruise ship is.
Follows the complete list of ms Fram restaurants and food bars.
- Imag Restaurant (dining room with large floor-ceiling windows, buffet station in the middle and outdoor seating area)
- The Bistro (offers light snacks and drinks; has a separate buffet dining area).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
From the moment passengers step onboard the compact Fram ship, they feel as though they’ve arrived in the polar region. Fram’s artwork reflects both the Antarctic and Arctic with photos of the early expeditions, snow-capped peaks paintings and pictures of penguins. Highlights are the Fram artifacts exhibit and the model of Fram sailing ship.
Fram ship's onboard experience is marked by an interior design rich in oak wood, leather and wool. The observation lounge offers panoramic 270-degree sea views. On its Sun deck 7, located by the gym room are 2 outdoor whirlpools enclosed by glass windows. They are the Hurtigruten's exclusive option to enjoy the panoramic spa experience at sea - no matter the weather.
Follows the complete list of ms Fram lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Ward (wardroom, ship officers’ dining room and relaxation lounge)
- Tender Lobby (embarkation/disembarkation area for easy loading/unloading of passengers going on land expeditions; ship-to-shore tendering is serviced by 6 inflatable boats, used mostly for wildlife watching in Antarctica)
- Two lecture halls (Framheim and Polhogda; offer expert lectures and multimedia presentations)
- The “Colin Archer” room (for conferences and group meetings)
- The Nunami Lobby (with floor-ceiling windows, reception, expeditions booking and information)
- Internet corner (Internet Cafe with 4 Internet computers, combined with a library)
- Shop (selling hand-made souvenirs, special occasion gifs, Hutigruten logo merchandise); Video Games Arcade.
- Observation terraces and Promenade Deck (open-air deck spaces)
- Qilak Observation Lounge (with panoramic windows for 270-degree ocean views; served by its own bar; lounge’s outdoor area is named ”Passenger Bridge”)
- Fitness Room (with treadmills, exercise bikes, rowing machine, ping pong table, free weights); two whirlpools with shower section; two separate Saunas
- The Sun Deck is the place for Hurtigruten’s special ceremony “Arctic Circle baptism”, including a Neptune-costumed crewmember, icy seawater, and a shot for warming up.
MS Fram wiki
- Fram cruise ship is an expedition vessel built exclusively to operate in the regions of Arctic (Europe) and Antarctica (South America). The ship is named after the Norwegian explorer Fridtjof Nansen's "Fram" ship. The original Fram was a wooden expedition ship (rigged as 3-masted schooner), which design's most unique feature was that the hull (bow, stern, keel) was rounded off and smoothed, to avoid ice packing around it.
- By nationality, the ship's officers are all Norwegian, while the hotel staff and crew are Filipino.
- MS Fram cruises to Antarctic leaving from Argentina (roundtrip Buenos Aires) during winter, and to Greenland in the summer.
- On Hurtigruten Norwegian coastal voayges, the line offers flight-cruise package deals. Bookings are protected with ATOL Certificate. ATOL stands for "Air Travel Organisers' Licensing" (Civil Aviation Authority, UK).
MS Fram - user reviews and comments
Photos of MS FramAdd Photo
MS Fram ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
2018 cruise ship season in Halifax officially started on Sunday, April 22, with the arrival of Hurtigruten's ms Fram, according to Halifax Port...April 23, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Starting April 2018, Hurtigruten will add Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland, Gulf of Saint Lawrence and New England to line's itineraries. Following...July 2, 2017
- show more news
Other Hurtigruten cruise ships
MS Fram Itineraries
The below listed MS Fram cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Hurtigruten fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Nov 04||15 days, one-way from Puerto Limon to Valparaiso||Puerto Limon||$3159|
|2018 Nov 04||12 days, one-way from Puerto Limon to Callao||Puerto Limon||$3159|
|2018 Nov 19||19 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires||Valparaiso||$6483|
|2018 Dec 07||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$7745|
|2018 Dec 28||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$7745|
|2019 Jan 18||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$7745|
|2019 Feb 08||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$7745|
|2019 Mar 01||20 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso||Buenos Aires||$6289|
|2019 Mar 19||15 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Puerto Limon||Valparaiso||$3160|
|2019 Apr 03||14 days, one-way from Puerto Limon to Miami||Puerto Limon||$2416|
|2019 Apr 21||11 days, one-way from New York to Quebec City||New York||$3092|
|2019 May 02||10 days, one-way from Quebec City to New York||Quebec City||$2783|
|2019 May 12||9 days, one-way from New York to St Johns||New York||$3092|
|2019 May 26||9 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Longyearbyen||Reykjavik||$3607|
|2019 Jun 03||9 days, round-trip In the Realm of the Polar Bear||Longyearbyen|
|2019 Jun 11||9 days, round-trip In the Realm of the Polar Bear||Longyearbyen|
|2019 Jun 19||9 days, round-trip In the Realm of the Polar Bear||Longyearbyen|
|2019 Jun 27||14 days, one-way from Longyearbyen to Reykjavik||Longyearbyen||$5957|
|2019 Jul 11||16 days, one-way from Reykjavik to Copenhagen||Reykjavik||$5154|
|2019 Jul 26||12 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq||Copenhagen||$4123|
|2019 Aug 05||15 days, one-way from Kangerlussuaq to Copenhagen||Kangerlussuaq||$6185|
|2019 Aug 19||12 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Montreal||Copenhagen||$8246|
|2019 Aug 31||13 days, one-way from Edmonton to Copenhagen||Edmonton||$8246|
|2019 Sep 12||14 days, one-way from Copenhagen to St Johns||Copenhagen||$6700|
|2019 Sep 26||9 days, one-way from St Johns to New York||St Johns||$3092|
|2019 Oct 05||11 days, one-way from New York to Puerto Limon||New York||$2576|
|2019 Oct 09||8 days, one-way from Miami to Puerto Limon||Miami||$2371|
|2019 Oct 16||10 days, one-way from Puerto Limon to Callao||Puerto Limon||$4932|
|2019 Oct 16||10 days, one-way from Puerto Limon to Callao||Puerto Limon||$3585|
|2019 Oct 16||16 days, one-way from Puerto Limon to Valparaiso||Puerto Limon||$3608|
|2019 Oct 23||8 days, one-way from Callao to Valparaiso||Callao||$3401|
|2019 Oct 31||19 days, one-way from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires||Valparaiso||$6201|
|2019 Nov 18||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$8056|
|2019 Dec 09||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$8056|
|2019 Dec 30||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$8056|
|2020 Jan 20||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$8056|
|2020 Feb 10||23 days, round-trip Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia||Buenos Aires||$8056|
|2020 Mar 02||20 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso||Buenos Aires||$7216|