MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos last position
MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos last location was at South America West Coast (coordinates -0.44118 S / -90.28953 W) cruising The AIS position was reported 2 days ago.Current Position
Specifications of MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos
|Year built||2002 / Age: 19|
|Builder||ASENAV Shipyard (Valdivia, Chile)|
|Operator||Hurtigruten Expeditions, Tauck Cruises|
|Speed||13 kn / 24 kph / 15 mph|
|Length (LOA)||71 m / 233 ft|
|Beam (width)||13 m / 43 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||2664 gt|
|Passengers||90 - 100|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Former names||Mare Australis|
MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos Review
Review of MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos
The 2002-built MV Santa Cruz 2 yacht is an expedition cruise ship acquired by Metropolitan Touring (from Cruceros Australis) in 2014. The vessel was formerly named "Mare Australis". Following the 2015 drydock refurbishment, it was renamed to "Santa Cruz II". Since 2022, the boat is full-time chartered to Hurtigruten Expeditions.
Santa Cruz II Galapagos cruise itinerary program offers exclusively Galapagos Islands voyages with departures from Baltra Island (Ecuador, South America). Metropolitan Touring Galapagos cruise deals are inclusive of airfare (domestic flights between Quito and Baltra).
In June 2021, Hurtigruten Expeditions signed a boat charter deal with Metropolitan Touring for the luxury yacht Santa Cruz 2, which was extensively renovated in 2021. The ship's first voyage for Hurtigruten was scheduled to depart on January 5, 2022. The 8-night/9-day itinerary includes hotel stays in Quito (two nights/pre- and post-cruise) and 6-nights cruising.
Santa Cruz 2's drydock in 2021 included renovation of all staterooms and public areas, including Explorer Lounge & Library, Panorama Bar & Lounge, Beagle Restaurant (Dining Room). A "Science Area" ("Discovery Room" on Expedition Deck/deck 2) was added for Hurtigruten's onboard enrichment program (led by a dedicated expedition team).
Shipboard facilities and amenities
The boat has 5 decks (all are passenger-accessible, 3 are with cabins) and a total of 50 staterooms, including single cabins, double and triple cabins, plus 3x Darwin Suites.
Dining options include "Beagle Restaurant" (MDR-Dining Room with open-seating) and Panorama Bar & Lounge (alfresco dining on the adjacent Outdoor Terrace).
Other facilities on this premium Galapagos cruise yacht include Expedition Lounge & Library, Fitness Room, Solarium/Sun Deck, Panorama Veranda, Expedition Veranda, Discovery Room, 2 Jacuzzis (spa whirlpools/hot tubs), Gift Shop (Boutique), 24-hour Coffee Station, WiFi hotspot, forward-viewing platform (in front of the Navigation Bridge/Wheelhouse), kids play area.
Ocean Deck (deck 0)
- At Beagle Restaurant (Dining Room) are served all meals except when there's an outdoor BBQ (barbecue held once per cruise) or alfresco dining (served on Panorama Veranda). Breakfast and lunch at the Restaurant are buffet-style, while dinner is 4-course, waiter-served.
Horizon Deck (deck 1)
- The Lobby area houses the Reception Desk, providing 24-hour guest services and assistance.
- Gift Shop a premium Boutique selling logoed caps and hats, shirts and jackets, wood carvings, travel essentials.
- Infirmary is the ship's Medical Facility/Hospital served by a resident doctor/physician.
Expedition Deck (deck 2)
- The fore-located "Expedition Lounge" is a bar lounge and Library, offering plenty of comfortable seating and a separated reading room with books, popular board games, DVDs.
- The midship-located Discovery Room (Science Area) serves the cruise company's onboard enrichment program led by a dedicated expedition team.
- Hot Tubs are two Jacuzzis (outdoor spa whirlpools) part of the aft-located Sundeck area.
Panorama Deck (deck 3)
- Forward are located the Navigation Bridge (Wheelhouse) and the adjacent Captain's Suite (officers' quarters).
- The midship-located Panorama Bar & Lounge is the spot for pre- and post-dinner drinks. It has floor-ceiling windows and hosts daily briefings each evening before dinner. From Panorama Lounge is directly accessed the aft Outdoor Terrace (seating area). The Terrace is also accessed (via outdoor stairs) from decks 2 (Expedition/below) and 4 (Sky/above).
Sky Deck (deck 4)
- Sky Deck houses the ship's Solarium/Sun Deck (sunbathing area with padded loungers and tables).
- Adjacent to the Solarium is the indoor Fitness Center. The Gym Room has floor-ceiling windows and is equipped with treadmills, exercise bikes, weight benches, free weights.
Santa Cruz 2 Galapagos cruise itineraries
Santa Cruz II Galapagos Islands itineraries are operated the whole year-round with round-trips from Isla Baltra. Arrivals and departures are to and from Baltra Airport.
- 4-nights / 5-days "Northern Galapagos" itinerary is operated weekly from Monday to Friday. It visits the Galapagos islands Baltra (South Seymour), Las Bachas (lagoons, wildlife - flamingos), Santiago (Buccaneer Cove, wildlife - sea lions, birds; Puerto Egas - snorkeling, swimming), Rabida (swimming), Bartolome (hiking, swimming), Genovesa (wildlife - marine birds), San Cristobal (Puerto Baquerizo Moreno).
- 4-nights / 5-days "Eastern Galapagos" itinerary is operated weekly from Saturday to Wednesday. It visits the Galapagos islands San Cristobal (Punta Pitt), Santa Fe (bay swimming, snorkeling), South Plaza (wildlife - iguanas, marine birds), Santa Cruz (Charles Darwin Research Station), Espanola (Punta Suarez - marine wildlife - iguanas, sea lions, birds; Gardner Bay - glass-bottom boating, snorkeling, swimming).
- 5-nights / 6-days "Western Galapagos" itinerary is operated weekly from Wednesday to Monday. It visits the Galapagos islands Baltra (South Seymour), North Seymour, Isabela (Punta Vicente Roca, Tagus Cove), Fernandina (Punta Espinosa, Urbina Bay), Santa Cruz (Charles Darwin Research Station), Floreana (Post Office Bay, Punta Cormorant).
Santa Cruz 2 Galapagos cruise prices
The following Santa Cruz II cruise prices are indicative, depending on the cabin location:
- Horizon Deck (triple) - 5-days (USD 3200), 6-days (USD 4000)
- Horizon Deck (double) - 5-days (USD 3400), 6-days (USD 4250)
- Horizon Deck (single) - 5-days (USD 4650), 6-days (USD 5800) - only 2 single-occupancy rooms are available
- Expedition Deck (double) - 5-days (USD 3550), 6-days (USD 4450)
- Panorama Deck (double) - 5-days (USD 3650), 6-days (USD 4550)
- Panorama Deck Suite (double) - 5-days (USD 4150), 6-days (USD 5150) - only 3 Suite accommodations are available
MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos - user reviews and comments
MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
From January 2022, the Norwegian cruise and ferry company Hurtigruten (via its new brand Hurtigruten Expeditions) is due to expand its breadth of...June 22, 2021
- show more news
MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos Wiki
The ship's inaugural Galapagos cruise (Maiden Voyage) started on October 10, 2015. The special voyage was attended by Paulina Burbano de Lara (Metropolitan Touring's Executive President). The cruise ship arrived in Galapagos on October 7, 2015, following the christening ceremony held in Guayaquil Ecuador, on October 5.
This is a modern-design small cruise vessel looking more like a luxury mega-yacht. Each Galapagos Islands expedition voyage is guided by seven wildlife experts on the ship. Among them, an Expedition Leader organizes and supervises each of the island tours (price-inclusive). Among the activities on board and ashore (all complimentary) are glass bottom boat tours, snorkelling, swimming, sea kayaking.
The ship replaced the old Santa Cruz I, operating in Galapagos for a total of 36 years. The new ship offers 4-, 5- and 9-night itineraries.
MV Santa Cruz II Galapagos User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review