Hurtigruten Expeditions has expanded its global offering of small-ship expedition voyages in recent years, adding destinations like the Galapagos Islands (Ecuador's Galapagos Province), the Caribbean, West Africa, and the only year-round expeditions from Germany and the UK to the Norwegian coast.
The 2023-2024 season is expected to be the most extensive in Hurtigruten’s 125-year history.
New highlights include:
- Exploration of the rarely visited parts of West Africa including the Bissagos Island and Cape Verde. The itineraries include 4 countries: Cape Verde, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, with MS Spitsbergen based in Dakar (Senegal), one of the most bustling cities of Africa. Hurtigruten is the only cruise line offering West African-based voyages.
- More small-ship Caribbean & Central American expedition voyages inviting guests to immerse in pristine beaches, stunning scenery, long-lost cultures, small communities.
- North American national parks, visiting natural reserves both on the east & west coasts of the United States.
- A new 10-day expedition cruise Panama-Barbados.
- 32 expedition packages combined with land tours in destinations like the Galapagos Islands, Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, and Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio.
Note: Hurtigruten's South America/Galapagos program is via chartering the luxury yacht Santa Cruz 2.
For the 2023-2024 season, a couple of hybrid-powered ships will let passengers explore nature reserves like the western Redwood National Park and the Olympic Biosphere Reserve & National Park, as well as the eastern Acadia National Park and Cape Cod National Seashore.
The hybrid vessels/sisterships MS Fridtjof Nansen and MS Roald Amundsen will offer 6 North American expedition voyages. As on all Hurtigruten cruises, the sailings include scientists in the onboard Science Centers. Guests are encouraged to take part in Citizen Science projects.
All Hurtigruten cruises feature a large onboard expedition team with experts who are handpicked for each of the itineraries. Building on 125+ years of experience, the company offers the widest range of experts in the cruise industry. Leading up to the 2023-2024 season, the size of the expedition team on Hurtigruten Expeditions’ ships will be increased further. More expedition equipment will be added to the vessels.