Qeqertarsuaq is a port town located in Qaasuitsup municipality, on the south coast of Disko Island, Greenland's west coast. Disko Island and its satellite islands cover a total area of approx 9,700 km2 (3,750 ml2). The town of Qeqertarsuaq has population of around 850 people (2013 census). The remainder of island's population (less than 50 inhabitants) lives in Kangerluk settlement, situated a few hours by boat to the northwest.
- Established in 1773, the town of Qeqertarsuaq is now home to a campus of University of Copenhagen popular as Arctic Station. "Qeqertarsuaq" is Kalaallisut name for the island of Disko Island and is also used for several other isles on Greenland in Qaasuitsup, such as those formerly known as Herbert Island and Upernavik.
- Kangerluk is the site where in 1999 researchers found a 'galloping' glacier that moves up to 100 m (330 ft) per day.
- A lot of the flat basaltic mountains on Disko Island are capped with perpetual snow. The largest one is called Sermersuaq (translated to "Grand Glacier"), situated rather far from coast and difficult to reach during summer months. Lyngmarksbræen ("Lyngmark Glacier") is smaller, covering only 10 km (6 ml), but can be reached easily in a few hours' walk. A panoramic view of Disko Bay from Lyngmarksfjeld allows visitors to see the icebergs at Ilulissat nearly 100 km (62 ml) away.
- Qeqertarsuaq offers a dog sled rental.
- During winter months, Air Greenland operates air services out of Qeqertarsuaq Heliport to Aasiaat, Ilulissat and Qasigiannguit.
- When Disko Bay waters are navigable in summer and autumn, communication between settlements occurs by sea via Diskoline, as the heliport is closed. The ferry connects Qeqertarsuaq with Aasiaat, Ilulissat, Kitsissuarsuit and Qasigiannguit.
Highlights: Disko Island, Lyngmark Glacier
Port Qeqertarsuaq cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Qeqertarsuaq, Disko Island, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Qeqertarsuaq cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Qeqertarsuaq, Disko Island, Greenland.
If you lose the Qeqertarsuaq location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.