Saint Helena is a volcanic island located in the South Atlantic Ocean, some 4000 km (2500 ml) east of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and 1950 km (1210 ml) west of mainland Africa. The isle is one of the British Overseas Territories - the dependency of "Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha". Saint Helena is the UK's second-oldest dependency (overseas territory) - after Bermuda.
- The island measures around16x8 km (10x5 ml) and has a total population of 4,530 inhabitants (2016 census).
- It was named after Saint Helena of Constantinople and was uninhabited when discovered by the Portuguese in 1502. It became an important Atlantic Ocean supply port for ships sailing to Europe from South Africa and Asia. Napoléon Bonaparte (1769-1821) was imprisoned on the island by the British.
- In the period 1791-1833, on the isle of St Helena were conducted a series of reforestation experiments attempting to boost artificial rainfalls.
- Until 1966, the island of Saint Helena had a monocrop economy, based on cultivation and processing of NZ flax for string and rope. The economy of Saint Helena Island is now weak, and almost totally backed by aid from the British government. The economy is dominated by the public sector, accounting for about half of the gross domestic product (GDP). There has been an increase in the cost of power, fuel and imported goods.
- Tourist industry is largely based on Napoleon's imprisonment. A good golf course also exists on the island and the possibility for sportfishing is great. Three hotels operate on Saint Helena Island but the arrival of tourists is linked directly to the arrival/departure schedule of RMS St Helena.
- Saint Helena Island produces what is said to be the world's most expensive coffee. The island produces and exports Tungi Spirit, that is made from the fruit of prickly pears, Opuntia ficus-indica (the local St Helenian name for this plant is "Tungi"). Like Tristan da Cunha and Ascension Island, Saint Helena is allowed to issue its own postage stamps, enterprise providing a significant income.
Highlights: Napoleon's exile island, Jamestown, Ladder Hill, Diana's Peak
Saint Helena Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to St Helena Island dock (anchor) at Jamestown - port city located on the northwestern coast.
The Saint Helena Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Saint Helena Island, Jamestown.
If you lose the Saint Helena Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Saint Helena Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Saint Helena Island, Jamestown. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
6 January, 2017
12 January, 2017
18 January, 2017
4 January, 2017
5 January, 2017
11 January, 2017
17 January, 2017
30 January, 2017
31 January, 2017