Azamara Journey Review and Specifications
Specifications of Azamara Journey
|Year built||2000 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Class||Renaissance / R-Class|
|Building cost||GBP 150 million (USD 200 million)|
|Owner||(RCCL) Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd|
|Operator||Azamara Club Cruises|
|Speed||18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mph|
|Length (LOA)||181 m / 594 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||30277 gt|
|Passengers||710 - 781|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Former names||R Six (Renaissance Cruises), Blue Star, Blue Dream|
Current itinerary of Azamara Journey
Azamara Journey current cruise is 8 days, one-way from Barcelona to Lisbon. The itinerary starts on 15 Oct, 2018 and ends on 23 Oct, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|15 Oct||Departing from Barcelona, Spain|
|16 Oct 08:00 - 20:00||Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island, Spain|
|17 Oct 08:00 - 22:00||Valencia, Spain|
|18 Oct 11:00 - 18:00||Cartagena, Spain|
|19 Oct 08:00 - 22:00||Malaga, Spain|
|20 Oct - 22 Oct||Seville, Spain|
|23 Oct||Arriving in Lisbon, Portugal|
Review of Azamara Journey
History - construction and ownership
Azamara Club Cruises is a subsidiary company of RCCL-Royal Caribbean (shipowner). Founded in 2007 as "Azamara Cruises", the company was rebranded in 2009. Azamara liners were originally built as R-Class vessels for Renaissance Cruises (company operational between 1989-2001). Other RCCL-owned cruise companies (sister-brands) are Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, Pullmantur, TUI, Marella (UK).
The 30,277-ton, 694-passenger cruise ship Azamara Journey was formerly sailing as R Six (Renaissance) and Blue Dream (Pullmantur).
In 2001, the vessel’s original owner Renaissance Cruises ceased operations due to liquidity. The vessel was launched in 2003, and operated by charter Pullmantur Cruises under the name “Blue Star”. In 2005, Pullmantur officially renamed it to “Blue Dream”. In 2008, the Pullmantur’s owner RCCL (Royal Caribbean) transferred it to the subsidiary (new luxury brand) “Azamara Cruises” (in 2009 rebranded to “Azamara Club Cruises”) and renamed the ship to “Azamara Journey”.
The award-winning boutique ship amazes with lots of dining options, unforgettable spa and wellness facilities, friendly staff always in place to help passengers, and destinations that guests would love to visit.
As a Renaissance-class ship, the interior of the vessel is in Edwardian style, resembling a Transatlantic steamship from the early years of the 20th century. When you enter the ship, it looks like you have entered the "golden era". There's no multi-deck atrium - only a curving staircase that amaze you with its grace and elegance, leading to the main public room of the vessel. The ceiling has glass skylight, stained simulated, it is capped with a dome and its height is two decks.
Azamara Journey cruise ship entered drydock on January 22, 2016 in the Bahamas. During the 5-day process, she received a host of refurbishments and upgrades, announced previously in June, as well as a technology overhaul. The brand new "Pervasive Wi-Fi" system provides faster Internet connectivity from any place on board the ship. Interactive TVs in all staterooms feature new options including live TV, movies on demand, lecturer schedules, weather updates, navigational and port information. Passengers are able to book shore excursion through their TVs, as well as to order room service. In the Inspiration Center on Deck 4, Azamara guests are able to plan their next voyage by a 98-inch touchscreen to learn about future sailings and the ports visited. Passengers in The Drawing Room and Living Room use interactive tabletops to send digital postcards, design their own art by a Scribble app, or surf social media sites.
Cruise itinerary program
Azamara Journey itinerary program is based on Caribbean cruises leaving mainly from Miami FL, voyages to Asia (with departures from Singapore and China) and Europe (Black Sea and Mediterranean). When changing regions, the ship offers repositioning sailings through Suez Canal and Transatlantic crossings.
Most Azamara Journey staterooms are 175-sq.foot Balcony rooms (209). Azamara Journey has a total number of 355 cabins (of which 42 Suite, 209 Balcony, 48 Inside rooms) in 23 grades. The Wheelchair accessible cabins are 6. The largest aboard Azamara Journey are the Club World Owner’s Suites (560 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
For a small ship, Azamara Journey features plenty of options for each meal. The passengers are also encouraged to explore local cuisine when on shore. The line added a complimentary tapas bar when the ship went into dry dock in 2016. Overall, food onboard is quite good. There are rotating themes in the buffet and the tables there are spruced up at night with soft glowing orbs. The main dining room pampers with an entree salad every night.
Follows the complete list of Azamara Journey restaurants and food bars.
- Discoveries Restaurant (aft Dining Room, complimentary, with waiter service; offers open seating Breakfast 8:00 - 9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00 - 1:30 p.m., and Dinner 6:00 - 9:30 p.m.)
- Pool Grill (lunch-only casual dining restaurant with fast food menu, made-to-order - pizza, pasta, burgers, fries, salads; complimentary)
- Windows Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant; has indoor seating and portside/starboard terraces; open between 6:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.; offers early, buffet and late breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and casual dinner)
- Aqualina (dinner-only specialty restaurant with Mediterranean cuisine and seafood; offers free dining for Club Suite passengers; reservations recommended)
- Prime C (dinner-only specialty restaurant with seafood and steakhouse menu; operates at surcharge, but it’s free of charge for “Club Suite” guests; outside the Prime C there is a Wine Cellar with 8000+ bottles collection; hosts the Wine Corner evening events and offers wine-tastings and private dinner arrangements).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Because the ship focuses very much on destinations, Azamara Journey does not have as many daily activities as passengers might find on mainstream cruise ships. There are a couple of trivia sessions each day and some other pastimes, such as origami and Bridge. The Cabaret Lounge is ship's cabaret space, with risers behind, as opposed to a true theater. As the ceilings are low-slung, the space feels more cramped and the type of shows offered there is limited.
Other amenities include: 24-Hour Room-Service, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats. The Journey ship is not recommended for families with little children.
Follows the complete list of Azamara Journey lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Le Boutique (duty-free luxury shop for bags, gifts, brand jewelry)
- Cabaret Lounge & Bar (theatre and main show lounge for musical and show productions, cabaret performances, comedy acts; hosts the “AzAmazing Evenings” enrichment program; serves as a nightclub in the evenings)
- Casino Luxe (also serves as sports bar)
- Photo Shop (photo-video services, accessories, equipment)
- The Journey Shop (convenience goods store)
- Indulgences (luxury boutique shop)
- Mosaic Cafe (complimentary patisserie & bar; in the evening becomes a nightclub with live music - Mosaic@Night)
- Discoveries Lounge & Bar (Martini Bar)
- Thalassotherapy Pool (salt water pool, part of the Spa complex; with water jets; operates at surcharge)
- Hair salon (Beauty Salon offering hair and barber services, manicure, pedicure, massages)
- Astral Spa (wellness centre featuring Elemis Spa products and treatments)
- Gym (starboard Fitness Room with panoramic windows and modern equipment; also hosts various complimentary group classes)
- Acupuncture Room (serviced by NCCAOM certified acupuncturists)
- eConnections (24-hour Internet computers room)
- Pool area (with an outdoor swimming pool, 2 Whirlpools, poolside bar, loungers, Tennis tables; served by Grill station; hosts themed pool deck parties)
- Sunset Bar (outdoor bar; serves the Windows Cafe terrace area)
- Looking Glass (observation lounge & bar with panoramic windows, sculptures made of Murano glass, comfortable leather sofas; in the evenings becomes a nightclub; serves afternoon tea with sandwiches, pastries, champagne - complimentary)
- The Drawing Room (library)
- Sun Deck (open-air area with sunloungers)
- Shuffleboard (Deck Games playing area)
- Jogging/Power Walking Track.
Azamara Journey wiki
- Azamara Journey cruise ship is the 1st of the line's two R-class (ex-Renaissance) vessels. Her sister in the fleet is Azamara Quest. In other lines' fleets she is sister to Insignia, Nautica, Regatta, Sirena, Pacific Princess and Adonia (Azamara Pursuit since 2018).
- Azamara ship Journey was ordered and operated as "R Six" by Renaissance Cruises for the period 2000-2003. After the line's bankruptcy, the ship was in the Pullmantur's fleet under the name "Blue Star" (2003-2005) and "Blue Dream" (2005-2007).
- Azamara Journey is powered by four WARTSILA marine diesel engines (model 12V32E). Its propulsion consists of 2 propeller shafts and 2 fixed pitch propeller (FPP).
- In 2015, both Azamara ships (Journey and Quest) were featured in the UK TV’s travel documentary “Cruise Ship Adventures with Nigel Marven”.
- On February 8, 2017, Azamara Journey made its maiden visit to Australia docking in Darwin NT. The ship's itinerary (Feb 1-19) was an 18-day cruise from Singapore to Sydney AU, and also visited Indonesia (Benoa Bali, and Komodo Island) and ports in Queensland Australia (Thursday Island, Port Douglas, Cairns, Townsville, Hamilton Island).
Azamara Journey - user reviews and comments
Photos of Azamara JourneyAdd Photo
Azamara Journey ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Azamara Cruises celebrated unique occurrence on Monday, August 6, when a pair of their cruise ships, including fleet's newest addition Azamara...August 7, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The brand new Country-Intensive itineraries and 3rd season down under of Azamara Club Cruises will launch when the 690-passenger Azamara Journey...December 21, 2017
- Cruise Industry
In 2018 Azamara Club Cruises will boast its first around-the-world voyage. Richard Twynam, UK managing director of the line, announced part of...October 24, 2015
- show more news
Other Azamara Cruises cruise ships
Azamara Journey Itineraries
The below listed Azamara Journey cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Azamara Cruises fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Oct 06||9 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia|
|2018 Oct 15||8 days, one-way from Barcelona to Lisbon||Barcelona|
|2018 Oct 23||14 days, one-way from Lisbon to Miami||Lisbon||$2499|
|2018 Nov 06||4 days, round-trip Havana Intensive Voyage||Miami||$2699|
|2018 Nov 10||10 days, round-trip Circle Cuba Voyage||Miami||$2399|
|2018 Nov 20||4 days, round-trip Key West & Havana Voyage||Miami||$3099|
|2018 Nov 24||10 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$2599|
|2018 Dec 11||10 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$2599|
|2018 Dec 21||15 days, round-trip Cuba & Caribbean Holiday Voyage||Miami||$6399|
|2019 Jan 05||10 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$3399|
|2019 Jan 15||9 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$3299|
|2019 Jan 24||9 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$3849|
|2019 Feb 02||9 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$3349|
|2019 Feb 11||9 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$3349|
|2019 Feb 20||9 days, round-trip Cuba Intensive Voyage||Miami||$3249|
|2019 Mar 01||10 days, round-trip Caribbean Highlights Voyage||Miami||$2499|
|2019 Mar 11||4 days, round-trip Havana Getaway Voyage||Miami||$1449|
|2019 Mar 15||6 days, round-trip Havana & Cozumel Voyage||Miami||$1749|
|2019 Mar 21||4 days, round-trip Havana Getaway Voyage||Miami||$1399|
|2019 Mar 25||16 days, one-way from Miami to New York||Miami||$4499|
|2019 Apr 10||11 days, round-trip Bermuda And The Old South||New York||$2199|
|2019 Apr 21||12 days, one-way from New York to Lisbon||New York||$2499|
|2019 May 03||8 days, one-way from Lisbon to Barcelona||Lisbon||$3099|
|2019 May 11||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$2399|
|2019 May 18||10 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$4799|
|2019 May 28||14 days, one-way from Barcelona to London Greenwich||Barcelona||$5399|
|2019 Jun 11||11 days, one-way from London Greenwich to Stockholm||London Greenwich||$4499|
|2019 Jun 22||9 days, one-way from Stockholm to Oslo||Stockholm||$4499|
|2019 Jul 01||16 days, one-way from Oslo to Leith-Edinburgh||Oslo||$8499|
|2019 Jul 17||12 days, one-way from Leith-Edinburgh to Southampton||Leith-Edinburgh||$6699|
|2019 Jul 29||12 days, one-way from Southampton to Stockholm||Southampton||$4899|
|2019 Aug 17||10 days, one-way from Copenhagen to Southampton||Copenhagen||$3499|
|2019 Aug 27||9 days, one-way from Southampton to Lisbon||Southampton||$3699|
|2019 Sep 05||9 days, one-way from Lisbon to Barcelona||Lisbon||$3999|
|2019 Sep 14||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Monte Carlo||Barcelona||$2899|
|2019 Sep 28||12 days, one-way from Barcelona to Venice||Barcelona||$4799|
|2019 Oct 10||9 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice||$3999|
|2019 Oct 19||8 days, round-trip Greece Intensive Voyage||Piraeus||$4849|
|2019 Oct 27||7 days, one-way from Piraeus to Civitavecchia||Piraeus||$3999|
|2019 Nov 03||7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Barcelona||Civitavecchia||$3999|
|2019 Nov 10||16 days, one-way from Barcelona to Miami||Barcelona||$3999|
|2019 Nov 26||14 days, round-trip Caribbean Intensive Voyage||Miami||$4599|
|2019 Dec 10||9 days, round-trip Caribbean Breezes Voyage||Miami||$2999|
|2019 Dec 19||17 days, one-way from Miami to Los Angeles||Miami||$7499|
|2020 Jan 05||18 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Papeete||Los Angeles||$5499|
|2020 Jan 23||16 days, one-way from Papeete to Auckland||Papeete||$4499|
|2020 Feb 08||15 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$5699|
|2020 Feb 23||15 days, one-way from Sydney to Auckland||Sydney||$5799|
|2020 Mar 09||15 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$5699|
|2020 Mar 24||18 days, one-way from Sydney to Singapore||Sydney||$5299|
|2020 Apr 11||15 days, one-way from Singapore to Dubai||Singapore||$4899|
|2020 Apr 26||16 days, one-way from Dubai to Piraeus||Dubai||$4499|
|2020 May 12||9 days, one-way from Piraeus to Barcelona||Piraeus||$3099|
|2020 May 21||5 days, round-trip Grand Prix & Riviera Voyage||Barcelona||$2099|
|2020 May 26||9 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$3199|
|2020 Jun 04||7 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Monte Carlo||Civitavecchia||$2699|
|2020 Jun 11||9 days, one-way from Monte Carlo to Barcelona||Monte Carlo||$3299|
|2020 Jun 20||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$2699|
|2020 Jun 27||10 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$3599|
|2020 Jul 07||11 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice||$4099|
|2020 Jul 18||14 days, round-trip Black Sea Voyage||Piraeus||$5099|
|2020 Aug 01||10 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus||$3799|
|2020 Aug 11||9 days, one-way from Venice to Civitavecchia||Venice||$3299|
|2020 Aug 20||9 days, one-way from Civitavecchia to Venice||Civitavecchia||$3299|
|2020 Sep 05||7 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice||$2899|
|2020 Sep 12||14 days, round-trip Black Sea Voyage||Piraeus||$5599|
|2020 Oct 03||7 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus||$2599|
|2020 Oct 10||11 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice||$3999|
|2020 Oct 21||10 days, round-trip Israel Intensive Voyage||Piraeus||$3399|
|2020 Oct 31||10 days, one-way from Piraeus to Lisbon||Piraeus||$3299|
|2020 Nov 10||22 days, one-way from Lisbon to Cape Town||Lisbon||$8199|
|2020 Dec 02||10 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Voyage||Cape Town||$2499|
|2020 Dec 12||10 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Voyage||Cape Town||$2499|
|2020 Dec 22||15 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Holiday||Cape Town||$5099|