Azamara Journey current position
Specifications of Azamara Journey
|Year built||2000 / Age: 21|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Class||Renaissance / R-Class|
|Building cost||GBP 150 million (USD 200 million)|
|Speed||18 kn / 33 kph / 21 mph|
|Length (LOA)||181 m / 594 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||30277 gt|
|Passengers||710 - 781|
|Decks with cabins||6|
|Sister-ships||Azamara (Quest, Pursuit, Onward), Oceania (Insignia, Nautica, Regatta)|
|Former names||Blue Dream, Blue Star, R6, R-Six (Renaissance Cruises)|
Azamara Journey Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Oct 13||12 days, round-trip Greece Intensive Voyage||Piraeus||$2869|
|2021 Nov 02||16 days, one-way from Piraeus to Dubai||Piraeus||$2309|
|2021 Nov 18||19 days, one-way from Dubai to Singapore||Dubai||$3079|
|2021 Dec 07||12 days, one-way from Singapore to Fremantle||Singapore||$2169|
|2021 Dec 19||16 days, one-way from Fremantle to Melbourne||Fremantle||$4689|
|2022 Jan 04||16 days, one-way from Melbourne to Auckland||Melbourne||$3919|
|2022 Jan 20||16 days, round-trip New Zealand Intensive Voyage||Auckland||$3954|
|2022 Feb 05||17 days, one-way from Auckland to Sydney||Auckland||$3919|
|2022 Feb 22||17 days, one-way from Sydney to Singapore||Sydney||$3639|
|2022 Mar 11||16 days, one-way from Singapore to Tokyo||Singapore||$3289|
|2022 Mar 27||15 days, round-trip Japan Intensive Voyage||Tokyo||$4479|
|2022 Apr 11||15 days, round-trip Japan Intensive Voyage||Tokyo||$4479|
|2022 Apr 26||17 days, one-way from Tokyo to Singapore||Tokyo||$3499|
|2022 May 13||23 days, one-way from Singapore to Piraeus||Singapore||$4199|
|2022 Jun 05||12 days, round-trip Black Sea Voyage||Piraeus||$3919|
|2022 Jun 17||10 days, round-trip Greece Intensive Voyage||Piraeus||$2869|
|2022 Jun 27||12 days, round-trip Black Sea Voyage||Piraeus||$4059|
|2022 Jul 09||9 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus||$2589|
|2022 Jul 18||12 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice||$2799|
|2022 Jul 30||7 days, one-way from Barcelona to Genoa||Barcelona||$1679|
|2022 Aug 06||11 days, one-way from Genoa to Venice||Genoa||$2729|
|2022 Aug 17||9 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice||$2239|
|2022 Aug 26||11 days, one-way from Piraeus to Istanbul||Piraeus||$4269|
|2022 Sep 06||11 days, one-way from Istanbul to Piraeus||Istanbul||$4269|
|2022 Sep 24||12 days, one-way from Piraeus to Venice||Piraeus||$3499|
|2022 Oct 06||11 days, one-way from Venice to Piraeus||Venice||$2869|
|2022 Oct 17||11 days, round-trip Greece Intensive Voyage||Piraeus||$3149|
|2022 Oct 28||11 days, round-trip Ancient Civilizations Voyage||Piraeus||$2799|
|2022 Nov 08||11 days, round-trip Ancient Civilizations Voyage||Piraeus||$2799|
|2022 Nov 19||10 days, one-way from Piraeus to Lisbon||Piraeus||$2099|
|2022 Nov 29||21 days, one-way from Lisbon to Cape Town||Lisbon||$5039|
|2022 Dec 20||14 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Holiday||Cape Town||$4599|
|2023 Jan 03||12 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Voyage||Cape Town||$3799|
|2023 Jan 15||12 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Voyage||Cape Town||$3799|
|2023 Jan 27||12 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Voyage||Cape Town||$3799|
|2023 Feb 08||12 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Voyage||Cape Town||$3799|
|2023 Feb 20||12 days, round-trip South Africa Intensive Voyage||Cape Town||$3799|
|2023 Mar 04||21 days, one-way from Cape Town to Lisbon||Cape Town||$7299|
Azamara Journey Review
Review of Azamara Journey
The 2000-built (as "R-Six"/R6) Azamara Journey cruise ship is the first of all four identical R-Class ships in the Azamara fleet - together with Azamara Quest, Azamara Pursuit and Azamara Onward (Pacific Princess).
History - construction and ownership
Azamara Cruises was a fully-owned subsidiary company of RCG-Royal Caribbean Group until 2021. Founded in 2007 as "Azamara Club Cruises", the company was rebranded in 2009 (Azamara Cruises) and 2019 (Azamara). Azamara ships were originally built as R-Class vessels for Renaissance Cruises (company operational between 1989-2001).
In January 2021, Azamara's parent company RCG-Royal Caribbean announced an agreement to sell the brand for USD 201 million (~EUR 165,8 M / ~GBP 147,6 M / carve-out transaction) to Sycamore Partners. Sycamore Partners acquired the entire company and its 3 ships, plus all the associated intellectual property rights and goodwill. The all-cash transaction was closed in 2021-Q1. Sycamore Partners (shipowner) is a 2011-founded, NYC-headquartered private equity firm with USD 15+ billion in capital and assets under management. Among the largest of the Sycamore Partners-owned companies are Belk Inc (department store chain), Talbots (retailer of clothing-shoes-fashion accessories), Nine West Holdings (designer and wholesaler of branded clothing-shoes-accessories) and Staples Inc (office retailer).
The 694-passenger ship Azamara Journey was formerly sailing as R Six (Renaissance) and Blue Dream (Pullmantur).
In 2001, the vessel’s original owner Renaissance Cruises ceased operations due to liquidity. The vessel was launched in 2003, and operated by charter Pullmantur Cruises under the name “Blue Star”. In 2005, Pullmantur officially renamed it to “Blue Dream”. In 2008, Pullmantur’s owner RCCL (Royal Caribbean) transferred it to the subsidiary (new luxury brand) “Azamara Cruises” (in 2009 rebranded to “Azamara Club Cruises”) and renamed the ship to “Azamara Journey”.
The award-winning boutique ship amazes with lots of dining options, an unforgettable spa, and wellness facilities, friendly staff always in place to help passengers and destinations that guests would love to visit.
As a Renaissance-class ship, the interior of the vessel is in Edwardian style, resembling a Transatlantic steamship from the early years of the 20th century. When you enter the ship, it looks like you have entered the "golden era". There's no multi-deck atrium - only a curving staircase that amazes you with its grace and elegance, leading to the main public room of the vessel. The ceiling has glass skylight, stained simulated, it is capped with a dome and its height is two decks.
Azamara Journey cruise ship entered drydock on January 22, 2016, in the Bahamas. During the 5-day process, she received a host of refurbishments and upgrades, announced previously in June, as well as a technology overhaul. The brand new "Pervasive Wi-Fi" system provides faster Internet connectivity from any place on board the ship. Interactive TVs in all staterooms feature new options including live TV, movies on demand, lecturer schedules, weather updates, navigational and port information. Passengers are able to book a shore excursion through their TVs, as well as to order room service. In the Inspiration Center on Deck 4, Azamara guests are able to plan their next voyage by a 98-inch touchscreen to learn about future sailings and the ports visited. Passengers in The Drawing Room and Living Room use interactive tabletops to send digital postcards, design their own art by a Scribble app, or surf social media sites.
Cruise itinerary program
Azamara Journey itinerary program is based on Caribbean cruises leaving mainly from Miami FL, voyages to Asia (with departures from Singapore and China) and Europe (the Black Sea and the Mediterranean). When changing regions, the ship offers repositioning sailings through Suez Canal and Transatlantic crossings.
Decks and Cabins
Azamara Journey staterooms (355 total, in 24 grades) include 44 Suites, 199 Balcony, 88 Oceanview, 26 Inside. Handicap/wheelchair-accessible cabins (for disabled passengers) are only 6 (2x Balcony, 2x Oceanview, 2x Interior). A total of 243 staterooms have private, step-out balconies. Most cabin balconies are sized 45-60 ft2 / 4-6 m2. The largest accommodations are the World Owners Suite (600 ft2 / 56 m2 plus 215 ft2 / 20 m2 terrace).
The boat has 11 decks, of which 9 are passenger-accessible and 6 with cabins.
Four elevators (2x Forward and 2x Aft passenger lifts) interconnect all decks.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
For a small ship, Azamara Journey features plenty of options for each meal. The passengers are also encouraged to explore local cuisine when onshore. The line added a complimentary tapas bar when the ship went into dry dock in 2016. Overall, the food onboard is quite good. There are rotating themes in the buffet and the tables there are spruced up at night with soft glowing orbs. The main dining room pampers with an entree salad every night.
Follows the complete list of Azamara Journey restaurants and food bars.
- Discoveries Restaurant (aft Dining Room, complimentary, with waiter service, open seating Breakfast 8-9:30 am, Lunch 12-1:30 pm, and Dinner 6-9:30 pm)
- Pool Grill (lunch-only casual dining restaurant with a fast-food menu, made-to-order - pizza, pasta, burgers, fries, salads; complimentary)
- Windows Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant; has indoor seating and portside/starboard terraces; open between 6:30 am - 9:30 pm; offers early, buffet and late breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea, and casual dinner)
- Aqualina (dinner-only specialty restaurant with Mediterranean cuisine and seafood; offers free dining for Club Suite passengers; reservations recommended)
- Prime C (dinner-only specialty restaurant with seafood and steakhouse menu; operates at surcharge, but it’s free of charge for “Club Suite” guests; outside the Prime C there is a Wine Cellar with 8000+ bottles collection; hosts the Wine Corner evening events and offers wine-tastings and private dinner arrangements).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Because the ship focuses very much on destinations, Azamara Journey does not have as many daily activities as passengers might find on mainstream cruise ships. There are a couple of trivia sessions each day and some other pastimes, such as origami and Bridge. The Cabaret Lounge is the ship's cabaret space, with risers behind, as opposed to a true theater. As the ceilings are low-slung, this space feels more cramped and the type of shows offered there is limited.
Other amenities include 24-Hour Room-Service, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats. The Journey ship is not recommended for families with little children.
Follows the complete list of Azamara Journey lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Le Boutique (duty-free luxury shop for bags, gifts, brand jewelry)
- Cabaret Lounge & Bar (theatre and main show lounge for musical and show productions, cabaret performances, comedy acts; hosts the “AzAmazing Evenings” enrichment program; serves as a nightclub in the evenings)
- Casino Luxe (also serves as sports bar)
- PhotoShop (photo-video services, accessories, equipment)
- The Journey Shop (convenience goods store)
- Indulgences (luxury boutique shop)
- Mosaic Cafe (complimentary patisserie & bar; in the evening becomes a nightclub with live music - Mosaic@Night)
- Discoveries Lounge & Bar (Martini Bar)
- Thalassotherapy Pool (saltwater pool, part of the Spa complex; with water jets; operates at a surcharge)
- Hair salon (Beauty Salon offering hair and barber services, manicure, pedicure, massages)
- Astral Spa (wellness center featuring Elemis Spa products and treatments)
- Gym (starboard Fitness Room with panoramic windows and modern equipment; also hosts various complimentary group classes)
- Acupuncture Room (serviced by NCCAOM certified acupuncturists)
- eConnections (24-hour Internet computers room)
- Pool area (with an outdoor swimming pool, 2 Whirlpools, poolside bar, loungers, Tennis tables; served by Grill station; hosts themed pool deck parties)
- Sunset Bar (outdoor bar; serves the Windows Cafe terrace area)
- Looking Glass (observation lounge & bar with panoramic windows, sculptures made of Murano glass, comfortable leather sofas; in the evenings becomes a nightclub; serves afternoon tea with sandwiches, pastries, champagne - complimentary)
- The Drawing Room (library)
- Sun Deck (open-air area with sun loungers)
- Shuffleboard (Deck Games playing area)
- Jogging/Power Walking Track.
Azamara Journey - user reviews and comments
Photos of Azamara JourneyAdd Photo
Azamara Journey ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The premium cruise brand Azamara announced it would be returning to cruising on August 28 in Greece. There will be a total of 5 B2Bs (back-to...April 27, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Azamara Cruises announced the name and ship handover of its newest vessel, - Azamara Onward. The ship handover, which took place on March 15...March 19, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The ultra-luxury brand Azamara Cruises announced new itineraries for 2022-H2 and 2023-Q1. The program includes 80+ new itineraries with 170...September 20, 2020
Citizens in Auckland NZ are not to worry about a cruise vessel coming into port on the first day of the city's Coronavirus (COVID-19) alert level 4...March 26, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Greenock Ocean Terminal hosted two cruise ships today, July 23. The 90,000 GT-ton RCI-Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas and the 30,000 GT-ton...July 23, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Azamara Cruises celebrated unique occurrence on Monday, August 6, when a pair of their cruise ships, including fleet's newest addition Azamara...August 7, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The brand new Country-Intensive itineraries and 3rd season down under of Azamara Club Cruises will launch when the 690-passenger Azamara Journey...December 21, 2017
- Cruise Industry
In 2018 Azamara Club Cruises will boast its first around-the-world voyage. Richard Twynam, UK managing director of the line, announced part of...October 24, 2015
- show more news
Other Azamara Cruises cruise ships
Azamara Journey Wiki
Azamara ship Journey was ordered and operated as "R Six" by Renaissance Cruises for the period 2000-2003. After the line's bankruptcy, the ship was in Pullmantur's fleet under the name "Blue Star" (2003-2005) and "Blue Dream" (2005-2007).
Azamara Journey is powered by four WARTSILA marine diesel engines (model 12V32E). Its propulsion consists of 2 propeller shafts and 2 fixed pitch propellers (FPP).
In 2015, both Azamara ships (Journey and Quest) were featured in the UK TV’s travel documentary “Cruise Ship Adventures with Nigel Marven”.
On February 8, 2017, Azamara Journey made its maiden visit to Australia docking in Darwin NT. The ship's itinerary (Feb 1-19) was an 18-day cruise from Singapore to Sydney AU, and also visited Indonesia (Benoa Bali, and Komodo Island) and ports in Queensland Australia (Thursday Island, Port Douglas, Cairns, Townsville, Hamilton Island).
Azamara Journey deck plan changes 2016 refurbishment review
The ship's last drydock refurbishment (January 22-27, done in Freeport Bahamas) resulted in the following deck plan changes:
- Large touch screen displays were installed in several areas around the ship. They allow passengers (for free) to send digital postcards, explore world atlas maps and also provide Azamara Cruises itineraries and ports of call information.
- On Deck 4, Inspiration Center received a 98-inch touchscreen (interactive system provides information on future cruises - itineraries, ports, excursions).
- On Deck 10, The Drawing Room (Library) and the Living Room both received interactive tabletops (used for sending digital postcards, Scribble app, Internet / social media websites).
- Two new Club Spa Suites were built in the place of the eConnections (computer room, located portside on Lido Deck 9). Also on deck 9 was added The Patio (outdoor BBQ restaurant) and Swirl & Top (frozen yogurt bar).
- On Deck 10 was added The Living Room (forward observation lounge & bar, disco nightclub) replacing the Looking Glass Lounge.
- Many public areas were newly equipped (Looking Glass, Patio Grill, Sunset Bar).
- Upgrades and renovations received the restaurants Prime C, Aqualina, Windows Cafe (buffet). The Sanctum Spa (formerly Astral Spa) complex was redesigned and expanded.
All cabins and suites were renovated with new carpeting and wall covers, fabrics, furniture, shelving, curtains, bedding sets (pillows, duvets), new lighting and smart HDTVs (interactive system). All staterooms were upgraded with bigger coffee tables. Bathrooms were redesigned to be more space-efficient. Quality wood elements were used throughout all staterooms. Additionally, all high-grade Suites were updated with new modern furniture, dining tables, drapes, media consoles and sound systems.
There was a plan for replacing the Lido Deck’s Sunset Bar (aft on deck 9) with a new (named Kibo) specialty restaurant with Asian cuisine. However, the line later decided not to replace the popular day bar, but just to upgrade it. The refurbishment’s plans for an Asian restaurant plus an outside seating area for the buffet restaurant Windows Cafe were officially canceled.
The onboard Wi-Fi coverage was upgraded to shipwide (via “Pervasive Wi-Fi” system). The new Interactive TV system (in all cabins) offers movies on demand, live TV programming, onboard event schedules, weather updates, itinerary/port information. The system also allows shore excursion booking through the TV, as well as room service ordering.
The boat's 2016 drydock refurbishment project cost USD 25 million.
Azamara Journey User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review