With the launch of line's 2019-2020 season, One Ocean Expeditions continues to bring innovation to its Antarctic expedition cruises.
- One Ocean Expeditions (OOE) offers new direct flights from Santiago to the Falklands November 2018, exclusive to passengers sailing onboard line’s latest addition, RCGS Resolute. The new flight route brings a faster and more efficient transfer to Antarctica. The shorter flying time to South Atlantic Ocean increases the time to be spent in the destination and presents more chances to explore the ‘white continent’.
- Among the key features of the new air access is that it eases transportation logistics into Stanley airport, and allows for more time to join local trips pre-/post- the Antarctic cruise. Passengers will have the chance to visit the local museum and splurge in wildlife viewing during a visit to Gypsy Cove, with its sea birds, including popular Magellanic penguins.
- Another advantage of the flights is the additional time to approach Elephant Island, where the stranded crew of polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton took shelter for 4 and a half months.
Starting November 2019, OOE operates the following new Antarctic itineraries on its 3-ship fleet.
- Christmas in Antarctica and Weddell Sea (December 16-28, 2019) onboard Akademik Sergey Vavilov: authentic expedition voyage into the wild, while entering the icy realms of Weddell Sea. Passengers are able to witness massive ice shelves, floes and icebergs.
- Antarctica in-Depth (Circle Crossing Trip, December 28, 2019 – January 7, 2020 onboard Akademik Ioffe, and February 11-21, 2020 onboard Vavilov: The 10-night post-Christmas itinerary embarks in Ushuaia. It uses the flight out of King George Island to Punta Arenas on return, providing 7 days of excursions, including a crossing of the Circle. The voyage explores the area based on seasonal conditions, with flexibility to discover Crystal Sound, Antarctic Sound, Penola Strait and Gerlache Strait. Passengers can experience the same itinerary in February in the opposite direction, beginning with a flight from Punta Arenas to King George and finishing in Ushuaia.
- Falkland Islands, South Georgia & Antarctica Mega Colonies (December 31, 2019 – January 17, 2020) onboard RCGS Resolute: The new 17-night cruise takes advantage of a direct South American flight from Santiago to Mount Pleasant. On the trip, OOE aims to prioritise the largest penguin colonies in the region.