Viking Cruises announced an 11-day ocean cruise itinerary named "Greek Odyssey". It is expected to allow passengers explore Aegean Sea's ancient empires of antiquity during the quiet season.
Voyages aboard Viking Sea are roundtrip from Athens and begin January 2021. The itinerary includes 3 new ports of call for the cruise line: Nafplio, Volos and Thessaloníki in Greece, as well as a visit to Ephesus (port Kusadasi) marking Viking’s return to Turkey.
Highlights of the Greek Odyssey itinerary include:
- Volos, Greece is a cosmopolitan port city, and the region was once considered the playground of the gods. Passengers can experience the exciting scenery of Meteora, with its medieval monasteries, or explore the religious center of Dion, situated on the foothills of Mt Olympus.
- Thessaloniki, Greece is the 2nd-largest city in the country and offers a mix of modern life and ancient culture. While in port, passengers can walk the waterfront promenade with its many restaurants and cafes, or head outside the port city to the remains of the Macedonian kingdom of Alexander the Great.
- Nafpilo, Greece is set between the Bay of Argos and breathtaking mountains. Travelers can explore its Byzantine churches and Venetian homes, take a drive to the imposing fortress towering over the city, Palamidi, or travel to the Peloponnese peninsula.
- Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey is among the world's best-preserved cities of antiquity. Passengers can visit the remains of Byzantine Basilica of St John, enjoy sights like the massive Great Theater and Library of Celsus, and see the modest home where the mother of Jesus, Mary, lived out her final days.
- Scenic cruising: Mt Athos: During the sea day on the itinerary, passengers will sail past Mt Athos, the “Holy Mountain,” a UNESCO World Heritage Site and spiritual capital of Orthodox Christianity. The soaring peaks of the peninsula are home to twenty monasteries where monks work to preserve a vast collection of liturgical works and art.
Cruise fares are inclusive of balcony cabin, complimentary shore excursions in all ports, all onboard meals, complimentary wifi Internet, wine and beer with lunch and dinner, access to spa's Thermal Suite, 24-hour room service.